A SIMPLE QUALITY OF PERSONAL LEADERSHIP









In Napoleon Hill’s famous book, ‘Law of Success’, he emphasized on many principles (Laws) of success. Essentially, they were nothing but the personal attributes, or, to be precise, the attitudes we needed to succeed. The ones that made a lot of sense to me, when I was ‘struggling and seeking’ in my life, were these two simple personal-attributes: Initiative and Enthusiasm. I was amazed to realize how easily these two attributes could be owned by all of us… How important and effective they were

.
When we are enthusiastic, we simply glow… It reflects in our speech and action… It is simply infectious!


The attribute of Initiative goes hand-in-hand with the attribute of Enthusiasm. It is difficult to tell as to which comes first – Enthusiasm or Initiative… They are twins!


Initiative is the quality of doing the work without being told. It’s the quality of going the ‘extra-mile’… doing the work with joy, not for money alone…


Both, Enthusiasm and Initiative, are attributes of personal leadership. Much later, when Stephen Covey came out with his classic, ‘Seven Habits of Highly Effective People’, the first habit he highlighted was - ‘Be Proactive’. I instantly related this habit – this attribute – to the twin attributes which Napoleon Hill had highlighted:  Enthusiasm and Initiative…


Proactive people stand out… They get noticed quickly. Organizations, always, look for employees who are enthusiastic and who are full of imitative.



This morning, I was teaching a S.Y BAF (Bachelor in Accounting and Finance) student. She went to a reputed Commerce college in Churchgate. I was to urgently deposit some cheques in my bank account, for which I had filled the deposit slips and kept ready. I had planned to do this little task after her class. Suddenly I realized, that the bank was on her way home. So, instinctively, I said, “Beta, can you do me a small favour?”


“What is that Sir?” my student asked.


“Can you deposit these cheques in XYZ Bank which is on your way home?” I said.


“Where is this Bank Sir? My student asked.


I spent the next ten minutes trying to describe and explain, and, the young lady’s face was telling me clearly, “Drop it”!


And, I did it, immediately.


All that I had to do was, go and do it myself… It would hardly take some fifteen minutes!


Nevertheless, being her teacher, I asked my student, before I sent her off…


“Have you ever been to a bank, beta?”


“Only once, when I had to open an account.”


“Have you ever filled a deposit slip?”


“No, Sir.”


“What about a cheque?”


“No Sir.”


The only thing many parents – like this young one’s – are obsessed with is in sending their young ones to ‘the Top’ Commerce colleges in the city. They have prepared them to travel to the far end of the city, by bus, train and taxi… But, they have never bothered to prepare these young kids to do the routine bank work…


“What worth is this degree - Bachelor in Accounting and Finance?” I still wonder.


Maybe, both parents and teachers are responsible for this kind of bookish education…


But, what about that twin quality of Enthusiasm and Initiative… Like, “Sir, give me the slip book… I will do it”?


Yes, that quality is not taught either at home or in classes…


It has to come from within… A simple quality of Personal Leadership, Sir.



GERALD D’CUNHA


Pic.: Anil Bedi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...