THE RIGHT TO DO THE NIGHT DUTY










Do we have the right to be tired, bored, sleepy, lost, sometimes? Can we remain ‘always’ involved and focused?

Yesterday was my wife’s birthday. On Easter Sunday, we met in my in-law’s place and celebrated, both, Easter and my wife’s birthday, which was three days away. The idea was, on a week day, after work, we would be tired and not be able to fully enjoy the birthday celebration…

But, in the morning, yesterday, my father-in-law called up and insisted on having dinner together. Thus, after my hectic day, I joined the rest of my family members to celebrate my wife’s birthday – which, essentially, meant: Cutting a cake and having a family dinner…

But, let me tell you this: When I was there with my immediate and important people, and for a very special occasion, I was there dead as a log… All that I craved for was a shower and some rest. So, as others indulged in an animated discussion, I excused myself into one of the rooms, settled on an easy chair… and slipped into a deep sleep. After thirty minutes or so, when I opened my eyes, I was ready to ‘participate’ in Life!

So, do we have the right to be tired, bored, sleepy and lost sometimes?

Yes, we do, we do.


Today morning, during our PD session, I saw 16-year-old Dhruv unable to hold his head straight… He was, again and again, letting it drop on the desk. It was a packed classroom and a lot of things were happening in the classroom. But, Dhruv was simply not able to involve… He was tired, sleepy and lost. I could relate to it quite well… “Yes, sometimes, we all do get tired, bored, sleepy and lost!” I was empathizing in my heart…

But, I did not want him to crawl into another room, settle on an easy-chair and slip into a deep sleep, as I did yesterday night… That was my in-laws’ place… This was Dhruv’s classroom. So, instinctively, I called him on stage, “Dhruv beta, come.”

Dhruv had no choice but to drag himself to the podium.

Once he was there, I said, “Speak,”

“What is the topic, Sir,” Dhruv asked.

“Our colony night-watchman was on leave,” I said, “So, I had to do the night duty!”

The hell broke loose and, all knew the topic: “Why was I sleeping in the class?”

Dhruv’s sleep was gone, by now. He was animated… and went on to tell us about the reason for his heavy head. “I had to play a match yesterday… By the time I came home, I was dead as a log… All that I craved for was a cold shower and a good sleep. So, this morning, my body was aching and mind was tied… I wanted to sleep more; but, I just got off the bed and came for the class …”

“What! You did not take bath?” cried out 12-year-old Bianca.

The roof came down!

Dhruv and Bianca had brought a chuckle in everyone’s heart, especially in mine. I narrated my own story… and concluded: “Sometimes, we all have to take turns to do the night-watchman’s duty in our respective colonies… And, that is not only our ‘duty’, but, that’s our ‘right’, too!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Nicole Gubin-O'Ryan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...