THE ROAD OF THE GIANTS





















“I am an unabashed admirer of accomplished people.”

-      Mr. Narayana Murthy


Today was the last session for the students of class 12 (HSC Board) in my classes. So, I was telling them about the importance of having personal bench-marks. From my own experience, I was telling them, that the best way to become better in life was to observe and learn from successful people… Yes, learn from our heroes, our icons.


My own idea about ‘success’ has changed constantly over the years... So have my heroes. But, the need to look up to my heroes has never ceased. I am sure, the same need inspires most around us


The other day, I was watching a video, in which Mr. Narayana Murthy and his wife, Mrs. Sudha Murthy, were answering questions of young students at IIT Kanpur (Mr. Murthy’s alma mater). Towards the end of this session, a young girl asked Murthys this question:


“You have been meeting so many people in your life, famous and non-famous; how has it affected your life?”


I was impressed by Mr. Murthy’s sincere answer. He said:


“As far as I am concerned, whenever I meet a person, who has some characteristics, that I can learn from. Therefore, I am highly focused on observing people who have achieved something in life and I want to learn good things from them.  So, I am in awe of those people… I want to learn from those people… and I want to improve myself. Therefore, I am an unabashed admirer of accomplished people… I want to learn from them and I want to become better.”








If a man like Mr. Murthy, at 73, and even after such phenomenal accomplishments in his life, says, that he still needs ‘role models’ and bench-marks in life to help him still improve, who are we to say, that heroes don’t help?


A few inspiring stories, I think, are enough to provide us that much-needed ignition in our success-journey… “How successful people did it?”  The answer to this question has a lot of power packed in it… We all need to seek this answer from successful people, from all walks of life…


Today, as I was saying ‘Farewell’ to my young students, I spoke about Gita Gopinath. Incidentally, almost none of them knew who she was. “You need to read about such people, watch videos about them,” I urged. After they left, I shared this video in my students’ group…








In life, my students, you and I may not become great economists or IT giants. But, to be ‘giants’ in our own fields, all of us need to tread the same road… There is no other road!



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.:everydaypowerblog.com

Videos: 1. Yogesh Kanaujia, IIT Kanpur 2. thestate.news

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...