WHEN DANISH WAS A LITTLE BOY...























\“What if the kid you bullied at school, grew up,

and turned out to be the only surgeon who could save your life?”

― Lynette Mather

A couple of years ago, when Danish* was a little boy, his mother was a worried soul. “Sir, my biggest worry is about Danish being too timid… He gets bullied; at times, beaten up by some of his playmates… but, he doesn’t give them back… He comes home and complains… I want him to be tough… be able to stand up to the bullies… Give them back.”

This was when Danish was in class six and seven. Yesterday, he was in my office with his parents. He is all set to clear his tenth-standard boards and walk into a college. I was impressed when I saw Danish, yesterday… He sat before me and spoke very confidently… He was clear in his thoughts and displayed a mature body-language…

Whatever happened to those fears and worries of Danish’s mother?

She was a relived soul, and said to me, laughing at her own former state… “I even took him to a boxing class… I wanted him to learn boxing and defend himself,” she recalled.

“Did he learn boxing?” I enquired looking at Danish.

“No Sir… I did not. I convinced mom, that I would learn to handle my issues, without boxing,” Danish explained coolly, “Things are a lot different now.”

When I look back at my own childhood, I can really relate my story with Danish’s. My elder brother (two years older) and my younger brother (two years younger) were tougher guys compared to me… I was very timid, got bullied, often… while, they ‘gave back’, then and there! Yes, like Danish did, I, too, learnt to sort out my play-ground and class-room issues without boxing… Yes, soon, things were a lot different, you see…


When I reflect on my ‘timid’ childhood, I feel only grateful. Because, my timidity came from my lack of self-confidence, low self-esteem. All that I had to do, in order to be able to deal with bullies in my life, was to focus on building my self-worth… That’s all. The more I became sure of myself, the lesser I feared the bullies. I realized, that my job was not to knock them down with my aggression, but to raise myself up with my healthy self-esteem… As Michelle Obama famously advised: “When someone is cruel or acts like a bully, you do not stoop to their level. Your motto should be - when they go low, you go high.”


Yesterday, I reminded Danish’s parents, that we all get to encounter the bullies all through our lives… not just in our play grounds or class rooms. Yes, there are bullies around us everywhere… from work place to worship place, and they are there even at their ripe age… They simply don’t evolve. Their inner ugliness comes from their lack of love for themselves. Because they do not love themselves, they show hatred and cruelty towards others… Their frustration and bitterness have now turned them into sadists…


So, Danish, you and I – we all have to learn to deal with the bullies without boxing… without stooping to their level.

 * Name changed





GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.:www.publicdomainpictures.net

Video: Life Without Limbs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...