ARE YOU NICE BECAUSE YOU ARE RICH?

















 “People who advocate simplicity have money in the bank;

the money came first, not the simplicity.”

― Douglas Coupland, The Gum Thief



Ki-taek: She's rich, but still nice.
Chung-sook: Not ‘rich, but still nice.’ She's nice because she's rich. Hell, if I had all this money. I'd be nice, too!

- From the movie ‘Parasite’



While my wife and I were entering inside the grand lobby area of R City Mall in Mumbai, a very delightful sight – did I say 'delightful'? – greeted us. About hundred little school-children from one of the poorest neighbourhood-areas had been brought there, apparently, to give them a feel of what a mall was – or was it what an affluent life was? I don’t know what these little angels, in their soiled school uniform, were brought there for… A couple of teachers had made the kids sit on the floor in a beautifully-disciplined manner… Kids had a box of snacks and Frooti in hands, and needless to say, a glow in their eyes (I guess, some kind soul had gone an extra-mile to bring about this glow!)…


“Let’s wait here for a moment,” I said to my wife, “please take a picture.”


She did.


We were there to watch the evening show of the Oscar-winning movie ‘Parasite’. Our son was nudging us to watch it, “Don’t miss it.”


So, we did not want to miss it, even though we both had our apprehension, whether we would be able to follow the story line and dialogues. Yes, our son had told us, that there were subtitles in English which we would be able to follow easily…


The movie ‘Parasite’ has been acclaimed so much – particularly by the young city-audience like our 27-year- old – that, at the end of the movie, my wife and I, literally had to whisper into each other’s ears - ‘Did you understand?’…


We were scared, that someone around us would laugh at our ‘low IQ’!


Nevertheless, we did not want to miss it… And, please forgive us, my wife and I are really not used to following movies like ‘Parasite’. It must be a great movie… Else, it would not have won so many hearts and so many prestigious awards…


So, let me leave it at that.







We do not need to go to watch a Hollywood or a South Korean movie to understand the reality of the stark contrast between the rich and the poor around us… We just need to open our hearts, and, may be our eyes. This was clear to me as I was stepping into the grand lobby of the Mall which housed the INOX cinema hall, where we were going to watch the movie about the rich and the poor. The same striking awareness made me wonder about what was going on in the minds of the young boys who were continuously working to keep those restrooms of INOX so ‘posh’, so inviting… Were those boys thinking about the kind of toilets they were using in and around their own shanties?


Is this guilt in me a good one or a or bad one? Is something wrong with me – my IQ and EQ?


I really do not know, Sir.


In the afternoon, an elderly man had come to our house to deliver the weekly quota of vegetables and fruits my wife had ordered. Normally, this man would come late in the evening, when I was around. He walked two kilometers, carrying the container on his head. I would offer him a glass of chilled rose-drink… and, he would profusely thank me as he left our house. Yesterday, as he had come in the afternoon, I wasn’t at home. My wife was busy with checking, counting, making his payment and a phone call, and so, the chilled rose-drink had completely slipped out of her mind. At night, she narrated to me what had followed… “Madam, ek glass paani milega?”  


Sounds familiar?


We all have both, the rich and the poor, above us and below us. This means, at whatever position we are – there are people better off and worse off than we are… This is nothing new to our existence… This guilt, therefore, is a good guilt, I suppose…


So, I conclude – ‘metaphorically’ – that, this good guilt is the real ‘Parasite’!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: CinemaBlend

Video: IGN


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...