AAJ HOLIDAY HAI... SOCHA, KYA KARUN?












“God writes the Gospel not in the Bible alone,
but also on trees, and in the flowers and clouds and stars.”
-      Martin Luther


Today was a public holiday, here in Maharashtra, on account of Maha Shivaratri. But, I was working. Suraj, my 11 th standard student, had turned up (as usual!) without doing his homework… He put the blame on Lord Shiva…

“Sir, I was awake the whole night along with my family, at our temple,” Suraj justified, “How could I complete my homework?”

“Wow, a holy excuse!” I said sarcastically, “Olagina guttu, Shivane Bhalla.”

“What is that supposed to be?” Suraj was clueless about my this saying in  Kannada …

“It’s supposed to be this,” I explained, “God alone knows the inside secret… the ‘real story’ in your case.”

“Shiva knows the real story, Sir,” Suraj justified, “I was awake the whole night in His temple… It’s not a holy excuse as you think.”

“You had, at your disposal, the entire day and night, the day before yesterday,” I countered, “was it not enough to complete a homework that would take hardly thirty minutes?”

I didn’t wait for my student’s response… I said, “God helps only who help themselves,” and closed the chapter!


When I was in college, there was this Konkani play by the name ‘Dev Dita’… God Gives…

Looking at those roadside posters of this play, my friend Joe, known for his funny bone, cracked this joke, one day…

In a local liquor joint, a drunkard comes to another drunkard’s table and pleads, “Maka ek sixty di, tuka dev ditholo.”

Translated from Konkani, it means, “Give me a sixty M.L (medium-size peg)… For you, Dev (God) will give.”

Just then, another drunkard, who was listening to this dialogue, comes up to this table, and makes it very clear, angrily, to both of them: “Dev dina… Dev tachya sixty che maatr dita.”… “Dev won’t give… Dev will give only for his sixty!”

It’s okay if you do not understand Kannada or Konkani… Enough if you understand this much This angry drunkard’s name was Dev… and, by no means, he would pay for someone else’s peg… He will pay only for his ‘sixty’!

Now, jokes aside, even God – Dev – will say the same thing to us: “Don’t put it on me, you drunkards!”

The Suraj episode took place in the morning. In the afternoon, an ex-student of mine, Satnam, called me up, “Sir are you in the office, today?” When I said, “Yes,” he enquired if he could come over for a few minutes…

In next few minutes, Satnam landed in my office. He hadn’t met me for quite some time… We spent some forty minutes just talking… There was no specific reason or a topic… We just talked… Then, he reminded me of a video I had shared with him some time back… Apparently, he hadn’t watched that video… “I watched it last night, Sir. Aaj holiday hai… socha kya karun?… So, just came to see you.”








What is the connection between these two episodes on Maha Shivaratri day?

God alone knows… Shiva ne Bhalla!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Chetna Shetty

Video: Source Unknown


Comments

Unknown said…
Did you know there is a 12 word sentence you can say to your partner... that will induce deep feelings of love and impulsive attraction to you deep inside his heart?

Because deep inside these 12 words is a "secret signal" that triggers a man's impulse to love, admire and protect you with all his heart...

12 Words Who Fuel A Man's Desire Impulse

This impulse is so hardwired into a man's mind that it will make him try harder than ever before to build your relationship stronger.

Matter-of-fact, triggering this all-powerful impulse is so essential to achieving the best possible relationship with your man that as soon as you send your man one of the "Secret Signals"...

...You will soon find him expose his soul and mind to you in a way he never experienced before and he will see you as the one and only woman in the galaxy who has ever truly understood him.

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...