THE BEAUTY OF OUR IMPERFECTION









I started writing since I was 17-18, not because I was good at it; but, because I was bad at it. Same is the reason why I started helping others in Public Speaking – yes, not because I was good at it; but, because I was bad at it!

Many people do not understand the logic behind what I just said. “How can you write daily when you are bad at it? And, how can you help others in Public Speaking when you yourself are bad at it?

Well, my job is not to convince others… My job is to convince myself. That, despite my own handicap of English, I can still write; and, despite my trembling heart, I can not only speak in public, but also help others.

I recognized my two handicaps – English and Stage Fear - when I was dreaming of becoming a teacher and a writer. So, I went about overcoming my handicaps by - going out there and doing it. By writing daily, for over forty years, I hope, I have in me, now, enough confidence to write in English… By speaking in public, despite my nagging stage fear and nervousness, yes, for over forty years, I believe, I have in me, now, enough confidence to speak in public…

Why wait till I become ‘fully’ self-confident and ‘perfect’ and then start writing and speaking? Why can’t I start writing in English and speaking in public and, thereby, become ‘fairly’ self-confident and shed some of my imperfection?


Many don’t understand this logic, either!


I have two dear friends, who are excellent in their respective subjects. One wanted to write a book on his subject… For over thirty years, I have been hearing from him this – ‘I am writing my book’! Well, he is 77, now!


The other friend is 55. His dream was to conduct Yoga classes. Again, this friend of mine, too, has been telling me about his dream for over thirty years!

My two dear friends are waiting to become ‘perfect’ in their subjects, and, perhaps, they want to become ‘fully’ self-confident in order to do what they want to. I ask them, “Why can’t you start doing a little at a time… in a small way… right from where you stand now, from whatever knowledge and confidence you possess?”

Are these two friends of mine afraid of failing?

Are they worried about the criticism – “What if I make mistakes?” “What will they think?”

One of them told me, the other day, when I said, that I had been writing since I was 17-18: “But, you make many mistakes in your writings”!

“Of course I do, my friend; that’s why I write... Because I make mistakes… Because I am imperfect… Because I need to build my self-confidence by expressing through English language… not as an English teacher… but, as a story-teller in this language, just as Madam Sudha Murthy has been doing for many, many years.

I do not know, if my friend will ever buy my argument. Let him wait to become ‘perfect’ and ‘fully confident’… And, let me continue to write and speak with my imperfections and trembling heart… Let me keep reminding myself: “It’s okay, It’s okay!”

I don’t think, there is ‘that day’ when you and I will become ‘Perfect’ and ‘Fully confident’ in life...

But, my two friends are still waiting for ‘that day’!







GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Anil Bedi

Video: Green Mumbles


Comments

Unknown said…
Do this hack to drop 2lb of fat in 8 hours

Well over 160k men and women are utilizing a easy and secret "liquid hack" to lose 1-2 lbs each and every night in their sleep.

It is proven and it works all the time.

This is how to do it yourself:

1) Go grab a drinking glass and fill it up with water half the way

2) Proceed to use this amazing hack

and you'll become 1-2 lbs thinner when you wake up!

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...