OUR INTELLECTUAL HATRED









“An intellectual hatred is the worst”

William Butler Yeast


The first thing I happened to see on my mobile screen, this morning, was a set of two hate-messages from two of my friends… both Hindus, highly qualified, with teenaged children, living in decent housing societies. I have known these two friends of mine for over fifteen years, and observed, that they bore a deep dislike for each other. Interestingly, today, when I read their messages on social media, I could make out what made them look alike - their chronic hatred for the Muslim community!


I unfollowed both of them, instantly!

No, there is no vaccine for this virus. Corona may come and go – maybe, taking with it countless lives away, without checking on their class, caste, colour or creed. But, this virus – stemming from human bias of discrimination and hatred – will never, ever go from the system of many of us… many are our own, dear and near ones!

Sad! Sad! Sad!

All our so-called education is worth some dog-shit! Sorry for that taboo word in our ‘evolved’ society – ‘S..t’…

But, communalizing a virus can easily get a ‘U’ certificate, right?

Last year, some bombed a church while the Easter-Sunday mass was in progress. The one’s who did this barbaric act had no name or religion… They were demons! The end.

While a prayer was in progress at a mosque in New Zealand, some opened fire and killed so many innocent faithful. The one’s who did this ghastly act, yes, had no name or religion either… They, too, were demons!

And, some of us here – who ‘kill’ indiscriminately the fine fiber of brotherhood, sowing these seeds of poison – yes, we, too, belong to the same tribe of demons!

Ram and Krishna, Moses and Jesus, Gautama, Paigambar, Nanak and many such sublime souls have come and gone, will be coming and going. But, the poison in our bosoms still persists…

I said ‘our bosoms’!

Well, I am too small a man!

And, in last couple of hours, I have, also, received on social media these two messages – apparently ‘small men’ like me, I suppose. Hope, they provide some healing touch…



KARMA DOESN’T WAIT
FOR THE NEXT
-      Padmakumar N

My mother (who passed away exactly 7 years ago this day) warned me strictly against having relationships with Muslim or Christian girls, when I started college. And when she suspected that I seemed particularly close to one, my mum would only refer to her (a mite spitefully) as "that Muslim girl". I tried reasoning with her using the argument of secularism etc., but no adult then really listened to 17-year-olds.
In the last two years of her life, her prime caretaker in my brother's house was a Muslim housekeeper called Meher, who gave her so much tender love that my mum was simply and utterly humbled. One evening, glancing into her room, I saw a beautiful sight. Meher had just finished combing and braiding Mum's long curly hair (yes, she had that even after cancer treatment) and she'd risen to leave the room. My mother held Meher's hand and kissed her palm. Meher kissed her back on her forehead and left the room. And I marvelled at how the mighty had fallen.
I don't often share intimate stories from my personal life, and my mother's death anniversary is as personal as it gets, but to all those out there who will communalize a virus, patronize communal politics and spread hate against those with secular views, I have a simple thing to say.
You are destined to learn, and you are destined to become better human beings in this very lifetime.
Karma doesn't wait for the next.

And, this one…      ‘Musalmono Ka Mohalla’




GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: gettyimages
Video: Purani DilliWwalo Ki Baatein/Nasir Khan


Top of Form

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...