PATIENCE IS PRAYER
















One minute of patience, ten years of peace.”

Greek Proverb


Last night, a group of my ex-students – who graduated about thirty years ago - arranged a video conference… Yes, just as is the trend during these ‘locked-at-home’ days. I don’t think we have had such get-in-touch moments ever in the past!

Well, most of us have been fortunate: We have a steady roof over our heads, enough food and drinks stocked in our houses, sufficient money to sail through this period, and, above all, healthy people at home to shoulder this sudden load.

Last night, each one of us shared our quarantine experiences… Who is entrusted with what household chores…  We were all men, and, most of us, including myself, had a similar chore to take up: cleaning our bathrooms and vessels…

Only two chores? Not at all. These were the two major chores.

What was that one major ‘personal challenge’ that each one  has been facing?

It differed for each of us. I spoke about my challenge: Patience!

I have never been this patient all my life. I have suddenly become aware of what is happening inside my mind, body and heart on a minute-to-minute basis… While interacting with every member in my family… How my ego, impatience, irritation, intolerance, anger, anxiety, fear all, eventually, get dissolved into empathy, compassion, patience, tolerance, hope and love…

“It’s okay”, “It’s okay” … I find me saying this to myself, repeatedly, “We all need each other.”

Our condition – those of us who are fortunate to share our quarantine stories through video conferences – is a hundred time better than majority of our fellow-             countrymen. There are real heart-wrenching stories of people who have no roof over their heads, no food and water to drink, and, no hope of what is going to be their fate the next hour… Yes, unlike us. We shouldn’t have any complaints… In fact, it should be termed sacrilegious to complain in times like these!

So, what if I am expected to clean up the vessels and bathrooms, today? At least, I have this fortune of using those vessels and bathrooms. It’s the least expected of me… and the last I should be doing is: complaining about it!







Patience is prayer, just as gratitude is. So often, we have heard the saying: “If we say ‘Thank-you’, we do not have to say any other prayer.” If we do not understand the meaning of these words, now, we will understand it never, ever!

Patience is the mark of our character. But, “Patience,” as Joyce Meyer says, “is not simply the ability to wait… It is how we behave while we’re waiting!”

If we do not understand the meaning of these words, now, will we ever?



GERALD D’CUNHA


Pic.:www.istockphoto.com

Video: Ronan Keating/MaryAliceWhitlock1


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...