THE COIN OF GRATITUDE

















“Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid,
but, which none has a right to expect.”

Jean Jacques Rousseau

Gratitude is a two-sided coin. The front side – the main side - is the obvious one: I need to be grateful for every thing Life has given me – my family, wealth, health, friends, neigbours, country, freedom, clean air and water, everything. But, other side - the rear side - of the coin of gratitude is not a pleasant one… but, is needed to complete it, give full value to it. But, mostly, I fail to recognize the importance of this side… because it’s unpleasant and unpalatable.

So, what is this side – the rear side - of the coin of gratitude?

It’s how I behave when others behave ungratefully towards me… To the good that I do to them.

Normally, I become angry or hurt. So, I react or sulk… Don’t I? I, even, justify my reaction and sulking saying, “I have my right to feel angry and hurt… because, I am human.”

But, when I think about it, it becomes clearer to me, that to show my gratitude to others is very easy. But, when others don’t show gratitude to me, it’s not easy at all for me to handle. And, that’s where, the test of my character lies:
Can I feel the gratitude to even ingratitude?

Perhaps, it’s a higher form of feeling grateful to Life… Because of these people, I am able to shed off some of my self-importance and let go of my deep need to feel appreciated, applauded and validated. So, I think, the more I face this kind of attitude – of thanklessness – more refined I become… humbler and more spiritual.

I am sure, you can relate to what I am saying here.

Obviously, we think, that feeling grateful to people and situations in Life is what gratitude is all about. But, as I said at the outset, that’s not all. That’s only the front side of the coin. The rear side is how we behave when we do not receive gratitude… when people show thanklessness, by taking us for granted.

Suddenly, in the midst of a deep sense of anger and hurt, today, I found me reminding myself, that a coin has to have two different sides. If both the sides are alike, it is a bad coin… a dud one…

A Khota Sikka!






GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: pixabay

Video: GuruGanesha Band

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...