THE ROOTS OF RESPONSIBILITY

 




“The greatest gifts you can give your children

are the roots of responsibility

and the wings of independence.”

Denis Waitely


I had written this Post a week ago. But, for some reasons, I delayed sharing it till this morning…


 



For years, we would regularly have a daily newspaper at our door. This stopped when the Pandemic broke out. We stopped reading the  newspaper completely. More than two years later, on 1st of this April, we suddenly saw the same newspaper being dropped at our door,  again. We thought, that it could be by mistake. Then, it continued every morning. By now, we knew what was happening: The vendor was trying to re-form the habit in us, all over again!

Reading a newspaper is a habit just like smoking a cigarette. Mind gets accustomed (read addicted) to a certain pattern and a brand… Today, on the eighth  day,  when my wife opened the door for some other reason, coincidentally, the newspaper vendor appeared to drop the newspaper. He never insisted on we subscribing it, all over again… He was zestful and sincere… just enquired about the well-being of our family and left. But, before he left, he had written his mobile number on the newspaper. He seemed confident, that we would subscribe… And, we did!

Many of us detest hard-selling. On the other hand, here was this vendor doing his gentle-selling. I am sure, he must’ve done it to woe back many other customers, too. It was a calculated risk he was taking… It must’ve worked with some like us; and it must not have worked with some others…

To me, it was a valuable lesson… Just as he was trying to stay relevant in his profession, many of us have been doing it, too, during this post-pandemic period.

Yes, I think, this is one of those valuable lessons which they don’t teach us at the Harvard Business School!


Then, there was this young champ! He is in Grade 8. His elder brother, my student, is in Grade 12 (CBSE). My student is a special child with major learning disabilities. Both the kids have been raised by their single mother. She has, also, trained her 8th-grader to take many household responsibilities… One of them is towards his elder brother!

The mother had been very busy for a couple of days as her own mother had to undergo a heart operation. Obviously, the house-front was a lot disturbed… She was particularly anxious about her elder son, my student: Whether he would get up from the bed on his own… Whether he would leave for his classes in time, etc. “Due to his medical condition, he, often, stays awake the whole night,” the mother had told me earlier. The homework was an issue… Memory retention was an issue…

Today, the surgery was scheduled at the hospital early in the morning. The mother had to leave for the hospital before 6. My student was to reach my classes at 9.30 in the morning. Around 9.25, the phone rang… “Sir, I am Krish*,” a girlish voice told me, “I have been trying to wake up Priyam* (his elder brother) for more than two hours… He is not getting up. But, I am still trying, Sir. Just wanted to inform you.”

Even if the young champ succeeded in waking up his elder brother, my student, it would take another one hour for my student to reach my classes… and, you can imagine the state of his mind!

“Don’t worry beta,” I gently said to the caring younger brother, “try your best. It’s okay if you don’t succeed.”

“But, Sir, I am still trying,” the young champ said confidently. Some twenty minutes later, he called me up, once again, to say, “Sir, Priyam has just left home… He should be there in thirty-forty minutes.”





Our newspaper vendor and our young champ – you see, they both wouldn’t give up… Daily challenges keep them on their toes… There is a reason why they have to do whatever they are doing!

I have, so often, told young ones, what I learnt quite early in life: ‘Responsibility in life is not a duty or obligation; it’s our ability to respond to the situations in our lives.”

This ability to respond is the strongest – and the foremost – pillar of our self-confidence in life!


*Names changed

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic's.: www.freepik.com

 

Video: 9xcel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...