HOLY LAND IS EVERYWHERE

 




“The moment you pick up a weapon

in the name of a religion is the precise moment

that your God ceases to exist.”

R. Patient

 

I have, often, asked this question to myself: “What if I was born into a non-Christian family – say, Hindu, Muslim, Sikh, Buddhist, Jain, Parsi, Jewish or atheist?”

Like most around me, I, too, did not choose my religious faith – I just happened to be born into it; and, since then, willy-nilly, I have been following it…

I know, as I became quite an adult, I very much had that choice to pick the faith I wanted. Yes, I could have become a Hindu, a Muslim, a Sikh, an atheist or whatever…

But, I chose to stay what I was born into – a Christian.

Am I happy about that choice?

Oh, yes… I am.

Do I consider it to be a privilege?

Oh yes… I do.

But, if you ask me, if I consider myself a superior human species just because I am a Christian – I would shout, with all my energy – “No, I don't.”

As the quote at the outset describes, all conflicts, and all wars, that we wage in the name of our religions, kill our ‘Gods’. Look, I said ‘Gods’… and, it indicates, that we believe not only, that our Gods are different, but also, that they are superior to others’…





A week before Israel was attacked by the terrorist-group Hamas and killed hundreds of innocent citizens and brought about horrible destruction – my wife’s cousin Sunita and her husband Benjamin had just returned after a ten-day-long trip to what we Christians call as ‘The Holy Land’. That has been one of their long-cherished wishes, just as a Muslim fellow-being would harbour the wish to visit the Holy Land of Mecca/Medina, or a Sikh fellow-being would harbour a wish to visit the Golden Temple… A deep wish to visit Ayodhya, Bodh Gaya or every other ‘Holy Land’ is something that our personal faith brings about in our hearts…

I overheard Sunita sharing her unique experience with my wife, the day after they had returned… “It is a lifetime experience,” she was describing.

And, how lucky – and blessed – they must be now considering themselves to have ‘left’ this Holy Land, only a few days before the ravage was to come!

What about hundreds of those pilgrims who are now caught up in the unfortunate crossfire of destruction? Do they consider themselves to be lucky, blessed or chosen ones?










I find it difficult to digest this whole concept of ‘Holy Land’… “Holy Land is everywhere,” says Jaco Strydom.

Is Hamas wrong?

Certainly yes.

But, do they or their supporters think so?

Certainly not.

Is Israel wrong?

Certainly yes.

But, do they or their supporters think so?

Certainly not…

This business of ‘justification’ doesn’t allow us to come closer to God. As long as I think, that being a Christian makes me think I am holier than thou, I remain the same mad guy who sets a ‘Holy Place’ on fire, or who provides the fuel of matches…

So, as Jesus said to the weeping women on His traumatic way to the Calvary – “Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me; weep for yourselves and your children," … Yes, instead of weeping for the innocent Palestinians or Israelites, let us repent and weep for our own selves and our own children…

Each one of us here, no matter on which land we live on, is guilty for this ‘war’…

Prayers for all. Peace for all. “Father forgive us; for, we do not know what we are doing.”

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: INSIDER 

 

Videos: 1 & 2 : ABC News  3: CNN News18

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...