IT'S NOT ABOUT YOUR STUDIES





“Even a mirror will not show you yourself

if you do not wish to see.”

Roger Zelazny

 

When I look back and try to trace the exact time when I started taking responsibility for my self-growth, I can see it clearly… It was when I started valuing myself.

Till that time, I behaved as though someone else – my parents, teachers, God or my Fate – were responsible for my growth and success in life…

Strange it may sound; but, it is true. Many of us simply grow in age; but, we stay mentally dwarf… The sooner we begin to minimize the dependency and take charge for our growth and success, the longer, stronger and wiser we grow in life…

“It’s not about your studies;” I found myself drilling into my young students’ skulls, this morning, “it’s about how much you value yourselves.”

Certainly, the point seemed to have been made… They were stunned by what they had just heard. But, then, I wasn’t sure, if they had grasped the meaning of those words…

After all, every one of them had been coming there for studies, you see. They wanted to excel in studies… Learn the subjects well, score better marks, to be precise. And, here I was telling them, “Sweethearts, more than the subject and marks, learn to value yourselves.”

“But, Sir, how?”… I could sense the question.

I held a young one’s hand and asked, “You have heard, that your fingerprints are unique, your voices are unique, the retinas of your eyes are unique… But, do you know what does that signify?”

There was an eagerness to know… I said this: “It signifies, that God, the Creator, wants you to recognize your uniqueness… and live life accordingly. The sooner you do it, the more self-responsible and self-motivated you become in life… How much you grow in life will be exactly in proportion to how much you value yourselves.”





So, whenever I see my young ones lacking interest and motivation in my class, I remind myself, saying: “These kids need to value themselves… They need to pause for a while and seriously look at their unique, God-given fingerprints, voices and retinas… They need to realize, that God hasn’t created them with such uniqueness, without a reason. With this realization, they begin to value themselves… Once that done, studies, marks, motivation – all these simply fall in place.”





One last time, sweethearts: It is not about your studies; it’s about how much you value yourselves...

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic’s: Pixabay

Video: Allidoisfun

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...