BORN ON A HALLOWEEN DAY

 




“Monsters are real, and ghosts are real, too;

they live inside us…

And, sometimes, they win.”

Stephen King

 

Till this date, I do not know what a ‘Halloween Day’ is all about. While growing up, back home, we would hear about something called ‘All Souls’ Day’. On this day, we went to church, visited graveyard and prayed for the souls of every near, dear and far-off departed ones… That’s all I remember doing as a child… That’s about it.

And, here, in this big city, and, particularly after the exposure to social media and YouTube, I started hearing about this fancy-dress event called ‘Halloween’. Interestingly, not only little kids took part in this fancy-dress event, the young and the old alike, the schooled and the unschooled alike – yes all of them dressed in these crazy, scary, weird costumes with the hope, that they could entertain the world around them…  make them happy and scared.

Whatever one hopes to do, like every other festival in this world, the festival of Halloween is a big business around the world…

You and I - the ‘liberated souls’ – are hardly able to do anything about it… If monsters and ghosts can make people around us happy and fulfilled, may live long all the monsters and ghosts!





As I said, I haven’t, yet, bothered to find out what Halloween is all about. To me, there are better things to bother about… One of them is this…

A couple of my dear friends have their birthday, today. A while ago, I checked with one of them…

“Is your birthday today or tomorrow? Anyway, please accept my birthday wishes and love, today itself.”

“Yes, it’s today… Born on a Halloween Day! Thanks for the wishes,” my friend replied.

Oh, God… Born on a Halloween day! I thought aloud…

In fact, my friend was born with several challenges in life… And, for over five decades, she has been fighting every monster and ghost in her life…  The fight is still not over…

But, my friend is a fighter… a winner. I responded to what she had written:

“My friend, you are born with a ‘winning halo’! Praying for peace of mind, good health and well-being of your family.”

What else could I wish for my friend, who was born on a ‘Halloween Day’?

There are so many ‘living souls’ to bother about… Let me, rather, pray for them…




Yes, Stephen King speaks sense, when he says:


“Monsters are real, and ghosts are real, too;

they live inside us…

And, sometimes, they win.”

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: 1. Karolina Grabowska 2. Monstera Production

 

Video: Emily Linge

Comments

Savvy said…
Thank you so much for all the help you gave me in life that no one else could, the impact you've had on my life is beyond words

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...