SIMPLE LIVING AND HIGH THINKING

 




“It is only when the mirror has not spoken to Chimpanzee

in a plain language, that it thinks it looks better

than a Gorilla.”

Ernest Agyemang Yeboah

 

Animals, birds, fishes and humans – they all tend to migrate to places where there are better living conditions, including better food. Of course, for humans, it is, mostly, better income.

When I was a small boy, back in our village in Mangalore, young boys and girls, mostly, chose to migrate to the Gulf countries like, Saudi, Dubai, Muscat, Abu Dhabi, Kuwait and so on. Some years before that – like when my dad was of my age – it was a city like Mumbai that they chose to migrate to. Now, I see a greater number of young boys and girls from villages in Mangalore migrate to the US, Canada, the UK, Germany and so on – mostly for studies, and, eventually to settle there…

So, that has been the familiar migration-story… as I said, not just of humans, but, also of animals, birds and fishes…

We all seek better pastures… better living-conditions. I think, that is how it should be.

My migration from our village in Mangalore to this big city took place some 45 years ago. Yes, the primary reason for this migration was to improve my family’s financial condition. Once here, I had two routes to travel by… The first: to build a strong bank balance (which means, invest in properties, shares, bonds etc.) … The second: To build less of it and invest more in intellectual things. Somehow, I did not develop the required acumen to monetize my ‘intellectual property’. So, while I have a good reason to feel proud about what I have done over these four-plus decades in this city of dreams, I have, also, a good reason to believe, that my definition of ‘better living-conditions’ has not been a best-seller!






Be that reality as it may… By now, many of you might have come across this man’s story… He is another Mangalorean, my gaonwala.  Apparently, he lives in one of interior villages of my native district. One can make out from his language, that he belongs to the Konkana (GSB) community, which is known for its fine business/financial acumen. Several people had forwarded this video to me; and, yes, just in wonder, as to how ‘simple living and high thinking’ need not necessarily mean what you and I, generally, associate it with…






This man has something which many of us haven’t… I, certainly, haven’t. But, then, I am not talking about his wealth… Paradoxically, I am talking about ‘wealth’…

You see, in life, we all find only what we seek… Maybe, what we ‘deserve’, too.

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic's .: Alwyn Mathais

 

Video: GoodReturns

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...