THE BEAT OF A LEGACY

Passion is contagious.

On Saturday night, I went with my wife and son to watch "This Is It." I had been a huge fan of Michael Jackson - the star, the performer and the enigmatic genius. But, I had never been fond of his songs. Except for the famous 'We are the World', I have registered nothing in my mind!

Well, this admission may reveal my ignorance. I may sound stupid, even. But, honestly, I admired the man - the larger-than-life persona -- but, not his songs, his music. And, that is it!

But, let me tell you, the two-hour-long film left me breathless. In fact, it is not a film; just a documentary - compiled from the footage of the rehearsals Michael did with his musicians, dancers, technicians and production and direction team. Mind you, it was the 'practice session', the rehearsal... not the actual show. If I was left breathless, and crying, watching this footage-show, what would have been my experience watching the real one!

The man was, in deed, a genius! He knew his every note, every sound, every beat, every step... yes, not just his own, but of every performer with him, both on and back stage. He breathed music, and infused that breath in others. Such was his passion... so contagious!

I came home - all of us - awe-struck by the genius and the passion of Michael Jackson. At 50, this skin-and-bone man - even after enduring such an amount of personal hell in his life - was capable of dreaming so big, and inspiring a cross-section of generation. I was stumped by the blazing fire in his belly, his zest and curiosity which seem untouched by the harshness of life-situations.

I felt the sorrow. I saluted the man... who died with his boots on. Even after two days, the beat of his legacy is on: Either you do it with all your passion, or you just don't do it.

Thank you Michael. That is, truly, it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...