DO YOU REMEMBER?

"Do you remember this point...? I have explained it in the class many times." Sameer's face drew a blank when I asked him that question. His two friends looked towards him and began to laugh, poking fun at his ignorance. Sameer retaliated with some nasty comments... and some girls started giggling loudly... Looking at the funny girls, half-a-dozen boys got restless...

And, while all this was unfolding in my class like a fast-paced movie, I lost my head completely. Then, for the next fifteen minutes, I went on a rampage - 'the emotional atyachar'. I did it with such strong words and with such intense feelings... that the mutiny had to die down. By the time it did, it, almost, killed me. I was left with no energy... but, with a hell lot of turmoil within.

That was at 11.30 in the morning, while teaching the 12th standard students.

At 2.00 in the afternoon, I was teaching the T.Y. B.Com students. The class was packed, and I was in full flow. "Do you remember this point, Anand...? I have explained it many times, before." I did not realise, even faintly, that, the same question in the morning - in fact, just a few hours before - had let loose the demon in me to create such a gloomy hell. Anand's two friends were acid-quick to pull his legs... and the predictable sequence ensured. But, my response, surprisingly, was unpredictable.

"Gajinike aulad," I shouted unleashing a riot of laughter. Most of them had watched the funny face and dialogue of Archana Puran Singh in the trailer of the to be released Hindi comedy - 'DE DANA DAN'. In that scene, her hubby Paresh Rawal is shown lying in a hospital bed, and, on regaining his consciousness, asking his 'kadoos' wife - "Main kidar hoon?" "Tere saas ke wahan, Gajinike aulad," yells the vamp!

When Anand lost his memory for a while, I did not lose my head. I remembered Archana maami's outburst. And, that saved me from one more trip to hell. Instead, for the next ten minutes, the packed class was transported to a vibrant, fun-packed world. In this world, every one was happy... There was no preacher, no teacher, no bulldozer... there were only happy, spontaneous kids. Yes, like Amitabh Bachchan in another forthcoming release - 'PAA", I found myself trapped in the mind of a kid... and, I found myself laughing, enjoying... celebrating life!

And, yes, just a few hours after I had done exactly the opposite... ironically, under exactly the identical situation!

When I reflect on these two episodes, I can't help but laughing.

I am the interpreter of the stories. I am the translator. The stress is certainly not worth it. But, the joy is; the celebration is.

But then, I am just a human. I do slip into these occasional memory losses... and go on a rampage, creating hell... and, then, with all my innocence, I ask Archana maami: "Main kidar hoon?"

Do you remember?


GERALD D'CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...