WILL WE HAVE RAINBOWS?

The greatest truths are the simplest ones. Not only that, they are the least complicated ones, too.

I have wondered, often, why some teachings are so simple, some dialogues so durable, some songs so immortal, so unforgettable... What makes a speech so timeless in its impact, why some movies stay with us for so long?

I heard this famous song last night when some one sang it. I couldn't hold back my tears:

"When I was a little girl,
I asked my mother what will I be,
Will I be pretty, will I be rich,
Here is what she said to me.

Que sera, sera,
Whatever will be, will be,
The future is not ours, to be,
Que sera, sera,
Whatever will be, will be.

When I was young, I fell in love,
I asked my sweet heart what lies ahead,
Will we have rainbows, day after day,
Here is what my sweet heart said.

Que sera, sera,
Whatever will be, will be,
The future is not ours, to be,
Que sera, sera,
Whatever will be, will be.

Now, I have children of my own,
They ask their mother, what will I be,
Will I be handsome, will I be rich,
I tell them tenderly.

Que sera, sera,
Whatever will be, will be,
The future is not ours, to be,
Que sera, sera,
Whatever will be, will be."

I do not know when Jay Livingston and Ray Evans had written this song. But, it was first enacted, in 1956, by Doris Day in the Alfred Hitchcock film - 'The Man Who Knew Too Much'. That was two years before I was born... And, I have heard it so many times since my baby days... yes, so many times. And, yet, each time I listen to it, goose pimples and tears just come.

I know the meaning of the song: "Honey, do not worry about the future... Simply honour and relish the moment in hand."

The irony is that, though the message is so simple, so uncomplicated, I still worry about my tomorrow... I still ask: "What I will be... will I be handsome, will I be rich?" I still ask, "Will we have rain bows day after day?"

The greatest truths may be simplest. But, not until I value simplicity in my life.


GERALD D'CUNHA

Comments

Girish Dhameja said…
This Article reminds me one stanza of Shri Bhagvad Geeta that "Karam kiye ja, fal ki icha mat Rakh"

Thx for this beautiful article and would like to hear this song from you when i meet you.
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Hey Girish,

Some songs need no singing... They are there in the air, always, for everyone. This one is one of them.

I have already sung this song for you, Girsih!

Love,

GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...