WHEN STRUGGLE DOESN'T HELP





It was past mid-night. I was fast asleep. Someone called me at this time… and, it broke my sleep. After the call ended, I went back to sleep… but, for about half-an-hour, I just couldn’t catch a wink!

I want to sleep… but, I can’t get sleep. This is a peculiar situation. Well, for me, this situation came about by this freak phone call. It was a pleasant discussion; still it robbed me of my sleep. I knew, that ‘struggling to get sleep’ works exactly in the opposite way: the more you struggle, the more you remain awake, frustrated. Sometimes, the whole night long!

In the past, I have done many things to deal with such a problem: read a nice book, write something, complete a pending job, take a warm shower, drink a glass of warm milk, watch a programme on TV, put on the head phone and listen to some soft music… yes, I have tried many things like this whenever my sleep was broken and I had problem regaining it…

Invariably, as I kept reading, writing, watching a programme or listening to music, my eyes would become tired and soon sleep would return… This might take an hour or two… Sometimes, even more than that… But, sleep would return.

So, today, for half-an-hour, I tried to get back my sleep… Then, I decided to get up and write about it…

Hardly twenty to thirty minutes of writing, I needed to do… My eyes are, already, closing!

I am glad, that I chose to write something… Whatever it is…

It is worth it!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Malabika Ganguly


Comments

Vijay Nayak said…
Yes sir, struggle spoils in many places. Vijay
Anonymous said…
Life is full of struggle though as you have pointed, there are moments struggle doesn't help. Meeraj

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...