WHAT HAS TO BE CARRIED BY ME, MUST BE DONE ONLY BY ME









Pic.: Rajiv Sharma

This is Lent. The last days of Jesus Christ’s life... They are packed with His human experiences... his fear, anxiety, pain, suffering, humiliation... and, then, the passion, prayer, faith, courage and mighty resolve... As a Christ’s follower, this part of His life leaves me shaken, humbled, inspired and, yes, confident.

As a Christian, I am, also, taught, that Christ had come on earth, taking His human form, to save the mankind... save me. So, we call Him the Salvador... the Savior.

However, faith of my religion aside, I seriously feel, Jesus Christ should not have come to save us, the sinners. God, Jesus’ Father, had shown no mercy when Adam and Eve had sinned. He had thrown them out of the Eden Garden, saying, in no uncertain terms: “By the sweat of your brow will you have food to eat until you return to the ground from which you were made.

I ask God, “Why did You send, then, Your own Son to bail us out from our sins?”

But, I know how small I am to ask God this question!

When Christ himself was in great distress, when he lost all His strength and felt the fear in his soul, he knelt down in the Gethsemane Garden, all alone, and prayed to His Father: “Father, if it is Your will, take this cup [of suffering] away from me. However, Your will must be done, not mine."

Even Jesus Christ, the savior of mankind, had been on His knees when in distress... Therefore, I believe, we all have to follow Him... We all have to be on our knees, in times of our distress, and pray to our savior: “Lord, if it is Your will, please do away this test from me; but, Your will must be done, not mine!”

I think, there is hope of salvation for me only when I yearn to be saved. Not otherwise.

So, what am I supposed to do in Lent?

Each one, here on this earth, is expected to carry his own cross. Expecting Jesus Christ to carry mine is expecting too much from God. It is sacrilege!

I have never liked the idea of rescuing someone when he is not willing to be rescued. We need to help those who need help... who are humble, yearning and grateful... It can be, truly, a spiritual experience whenever we step forward to carry someone-else’s cross for a little distance... just as it was for Simon of Cyrene, who had carried Jesus’ cross for a short journey through Calvary. But, then, no one bailed out Jesus, not even his own Father...

What Christ had to carry, only he had to!

Somehow, this message is too painful for us to accept. Because, most of us are hooked on to the idea of ‘the Savior will come’... The White Knight... The Florence of Nightingale... Yes, to save us, to bail us out!

The Lent, for me, is the time to seek strength and not to lose it by ‘clinging’ to my Lord... It is the time to go on my knees, yet again, and thank Him for doing more than enough for me, already... and to believe, from His own example, in the truth, that, what has to be carried by me, must be done only by me!

The Lent... The grace time!

GEALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Ratan Shetty said…
Direct. Powerful. sensible.
--- Ratan Shetty
Anonymous said…
"He will Come"... But, don't wait for Him!!!!! Vincent Pinto
Stell D'Cruz said…
God helps those who help themselves... Stella D'Cruz

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...