"HOPE HAS TWO BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTERS..."











Pic.: Sherry Haridas


Hope has two beautiful daughters...
Their names are anger and courage:
anger at the way things are,
and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are.
-St Augustine


Whenever someone says to me, or I say to someone, “I will pray for you,” what we, actually, try to convey to each other is: “Friend, don’t worry; everything will be alright!”

Last night, when my wife saw me throwing my hands up in frustration at certain present situations in my life, I, instantly, felt her touch: “Don’t’ worry dear; everything will be alright!”

It was at night. In the day earlier, I must’ve said the same thing to at least half-a-dozen people... my students who were anxious about their exams, a couple-friend of mine who had just lost their six-month-old baby, my neighbor, here, whose wife has been undergoing cancer treatment, a dear old-student of mine who has just been laid-off by his company,  a young couple whose marriage has hit the rocks... and, this little kid here, who came to complain to me that his playmate had given him some ‘bad words’!

If the present situations – our tough times – were to last forever, then, none of us would've liked to continue living...

What is there to live for? What is there to work for? Why pray... when there is no hope?

And, because – deep down in our hearts, we ‘know’ that our tough times will never last, this very hope instills in us the ‘reason’ to live for... And, along with this reason comes the courage to work hard... to look forward with optimism and zest... to keep trusting and contributing, keep believing, dreaming and loving...

So, when I throw my hands up in frustration, please whisper into my heart, “Don’t worry dear... Everything will be alright.” And, I will do the same, when I see your frustration... Yes, we are those two beautiful daughters of Hope... and, we shall, always, be there for each other!

St. Augustine had, also, said this:

“Pray as though everything depended on God;
Work as though everything depended on you.”

Let’s read that again...

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Anonymous said…
Prayer and work are amazing combinations! Siksha
Jeeva P said…
Hope sustains us. Jeeva
Anita Lobo said…
I have been inspired by Saint Augustine's writings always; you have well-brought out the message out of his two quotes - Anita Lobo
Rita Desai said…
Great post Gerry. Thxs -
Rita Desai

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...