KNOWING THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING AND VALUE OF NOTHING












Pic.: Sherry Haridas



“A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything,
 and the value of nothing.” 
  
I first learnt it in our Economics text-books: that, the ‘Price’ of a commodity is different from its ‘Value’. But, as I have gone about my life, it has become more and more evident to me, that, the price and the value of each and everything in my life are different!

A glass of water when I am dying of thirst...

A piece of cloth when my honor is at stake...

A bottle of blood when I am struggling for life in a hospital...

A little oxygen... A kidney... Some sperm...

To know the value of water, someone has to put me in a desert...

Similarly, to know the value of my breath, I need to be put on the ventilator in an ICU...

My money will be, always, ‘MY MONEY’... till someone or something takes it all away from me... Or, it looks utterly pale before the imminent death or destruction!

While a reasonable amount of concern about my future and my financial security is justified, too much of it can be a neurotic behavior. When I constantly keep securing and protecting myself, it, actually, keeps me more and more insecure, imprisoned... Isolated.  I live in a constant state of distrust... fear... lack...

Yes, I become suspicious, skeptical and petty-minded... Cynical.

Everything in life should be beyond its ‘price-tag’... It should be ‘priceless’. When I value the value of a value, in my life... probably, that is my greatest source of security:

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Anonymous said…
Simple yet valuable post! Tushar
Bharat Reddy said…
I am inspired sir. Thank you.
-- Bharat Reddy

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...