WHEN THERE IS NO REMEDY FOR THE 'PAIN IN MY NECK'...






Pic.: Rajiv Sharma

In life, the lesser I resist, the better for me!

And, it applies to, almost, every situation and person in my life... whose presence has become what, in my frustration, I, often, yell out as - ‘a pain in my neck’!

Nobody - or nothing - in my life can become a pain in my neck, unless I allow him or it  to be!

Yes, people can not eat my head... I allow them to!

Situation in life can not destroy my peace... I allow them to!

When someone behaves the way I don’t like, I can tell him about it in a dozen different ways... But, in spite of my telling, if his behavior doesn't change, my reaction to it, should. Else, he will continue to dwell in my head as my perennial tormentor, make my head constantly spin... and, most certainly, he will end up becoming that nasty pain in my neck. Or, wherever it is!

The troubles in our lives, too, may come uninvited. And, who, in his senses, wants them? Yes, when troubles come, our natural instinct is to resist their entry... try all possible means to banish them from our lives. With some, we succeed; and, with some, we don’t. The key to our peace of mind lies exactly here:

What do we do when some of our so-called troubles don’t go away?

Do we resist them more - curse them, scream at them, throw things around... blame, accuse, and swear... yes,  everything that an obsessed person would do?

Or, do we accept them – welcome them, embrace them... so that they dissolve, melt away, keeping us free from their bondage, free from being victimized, traumatized or crippled?

Carl Jung’s famous statement, “What you resist, persists; what you embrace, dissolves,” doesn’t tell us to simply lie down and allow people and situations to walk over us, rule our peace of mind. Far from it.  A proactive person – call him sensible person, if you like – will, first, try his best to change all the undesired situations and behavior of people in his life. But, not beyond that proverbial ‘wisdom point’ made famous by the Serenity Prayer:

God grant me the serenity 
to accept the things I cannot change; 
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference
.

Shantideva, the 8th-century Indian Buddhist-scholar, had evoked the same wisdom, poetically:
If there’s a remedy when trouble strikes,
What reason is there for dejection?
And if there is no help for it,
What use is there in being glum?

So, my dear friend, today, if your wisdom tells you, that there is no remedy - yes, for your ‘pain in the neck' -  please say ‘Amen’... So be it!

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Heena Rao said…
Had a calming effect on me! Thnx. Heena
Gaurav V said…
Letting go happens when we see the futility of holding on!
--- Gaurav V

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...