SELLING IS GOOD... BLUFFING IS NOT







Pic.: Chetna Shetty

Like many others, I, too, believe that we all have to ‘sell’ our products, services, ideas, concepts, and, above all, ourselves. For example, as I am writing this Blog Post, I am conscious of my innate desire that many people should read it… That is, they should ‘buy’ it. Now, I may not charge for it; but, I yearn for their appreciation and validation.  When they say, that my Posts benefit them, inspire them… yes, I feel happy, useful and motivated to do more…

All of us sell… And, we have to…

All of us buy… And, we have to…

The old selling lesson had taught us that a smart salesman is the one who ‘creates the need’ in the minds of his customers and then sells to that need. So, we were told, quite early in life, that an Eskimo would buy the ice from our smart salesman believing that the ice is better than the one around him… Likewise, a bald-man would buy the comb from our smart salesman, as if it is his life-necessity!

Often, I, too, see myself ‘tempted’ to tell my prospects that their life will be ‘incomplete’ without the ‘stuff’ I have in my sales-bag… That, they will miss out something, regret or even cry all day long, yes, if they don’t buy what I have brought for them!

And, I know what a bluff that is!

The truth is that, I am desperate to sell… I am anxious. So, what I create in my prospect’s mind is ‘fear’… just as a charlatan does to  his helpless gullible!

Selling is good. When I am honest and when I operate from my innate strength, trust and good intention, there is no need for me to create any need in my prospect’s mind… I simply help him recognize it… Selling becomes a joyful and fulfilling experience…  

Let me try selling hard, and I can hardly sell…

On the other hand, let me try applying the Law of Least Resistance… and selling will be smooth for me… as smooth  as the ice around our Eskimo’s igloo… and, yes, as smooth as our bald-man’s head!

So, let’s sell… not bluff!

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good insights into selling. Thanks... Pravin N
Utkarsh Khanna said…
A lot is rotten which happens in the name of sale.
-- Utkarsh Khanna

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...