HELPING THEM FIND THEIR OWN GRACE...















Pic.: Pushpa Mistry Kamath



“But what we can do, as flawed as we are, is still see God in other people,
 and do our best to help them find their own grace.
That's what I strive to do, that's what I pray to do every day.”

Today, a gentleman had brought his ten-year-old daughter to be enrolled for our on-going PD course (Pre-teens). Once the girl was sent inside the class, he said, “Sir, she frequently back-answers us, which worries us a lot. See if she can overcome that habit.”

“We will help her to overcome; but don’t stress out... Children do back-answer while growing up... as we all had,” I tried to calm the father.

“But sir, we weren’t as vocal as today’s kids are... We were not exposed to so much of TV, Internet and cell-phone stuff...” Like this, the concerned father went on...

“Our parents said the same when we were growing up back-answering to them,” I said smilingly, “Every age has its own gadgets and one cannot shut children from them... We need to just guide them wisely and patiently... The habit of back-answering will drop, soon, don’t worry,” I assured.

Inside the class-room, this little-one surprised me! Others had completed six sessions, and, for this little-one, it was the first session... She mixed with everyone, took part in every skit, cracked a few jokes and tickled others’ funny bones, teased their brains with some riddles and quiz... and, while all this was happening, I, or any of her little-classmates, did not get, even for a second, the feeling that she had a ‘bad habit’ of back-answering to her parents... On the contrary, she stole our hearts!

After the class, when the father came to pick the little-one, I said to him, “Your daughter was so adorable... She was so expressive, energetic and active... She stole our hearts. Smart girl!” I moved my hand softly over the little-girl's head, as she tucked herself in her dad’s fold, blushing!

I am 56. I thought of myself and wondered: “Would I like if anyone ‘critically’ drew my attention to my flaws – my ‘bad habits’?”

I have enough of my own flaws – bad habits... and, many around me don’t like them. They want me to change, drop my bad habits... But, if they tell me that bluntly, insensitively and mockingly or sarcastically in front of others, I sulk, become angry and end up only resisting someone’s attempts to change me... no matter who that person is, and no matter how good his or her intentions are...

Tell me with caring words, I will listen to you...

Point to my good habits and praise me, I will promise you that I will drop all my bad habits... Yes, I promise!

Even a monkey and a donkey have a need to feel good about themselves. I am a human-being, after all... I deserve to be treated as one...

If you want to bring the best out of me, please look at my strengths... honor them, celebrate them. And, my weaknesses? For goodness’s sake, please shut your eyes to them... and smile...

Life is beautiful when I do it for you... and when you do it for me... Yes, as  Barack Obama said, when we help to see God in each other... find our own Grace!

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Waiting for the day. said…
Soon This name (Gerald D'Cunha) Will be on a book's cover page and that book will be in top selling (global market).
Punit Rao said…
You always bring something sublime from so ordinary! Amazing! Punit Rao

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...