SOME HELP TO OTHERS, BEST DONE THIS WAY...






Pic.: Manoj Nair

It’s sheer pleasure to help someone succeed... and be a part of his or her success story. I feel very happy, proud and fulfilled whenever I think about it...

Though I believe that my success is my responsibility, I, also, know that I can not do it alone... I need help along my success journey... and, therefore, I must be humble enough to seek help, I must be deserving enough to receive it... I must be grateful enough whenever I find it...

“Seek, you shall find... Ask, you shall receive... Knock, the door shall open for you...” I convey this Biblical message to the youngsters, at the end of, almost, every training session; I give the link of my Blog as well as my cell-number and tell them: “Never, ever say, there is no help... Never ever say, there are no opportunities to learn and grow in life.”

I say that with all my honesty,  and with no strings attached...

And, many young-ones call me up later, get connected to me through FB or Blog... and I feel privileged and happy to help them...

However, I, also, believe that when the young-one is not willing to be humble, when he or she does not act responsible at all towards self, then, my helping is a sheer waste of time, and it is best to convey to the young-one, straight on the face: “Look,  you better grow up or get lost.”

About fifteen minutes ago, I just did that...

This boy, who came from a very privileged background... had failed in a subject which I had taught him in his last semester. Just three chapters... just some touch-and-go kind of learning it was... But, this boy, who had a history of ‘fooling around’ with his parents and teachers, blaming everyone and everything for his failures except himself... once again, came to me to learn. Barely a few days are left for his exams, now... I sat with him and helped him figure out what had gone wrong as far as his approach and attitude were concerned... I told him that I would be more than happy to help him again, and see him get through nicely... but, I told him sternly that he had to own up, learn from his mistakes... manage his time well, not to get carried away with wrong priorities... had to work at home, not to miss classes and come with his homework...

But, what I had been seeing, during the last fifteen days, was nothing but some irresponsible behavior... Skipping classes and homework, once again, blaming others and giving excuses... no regrets, no remorse... no gratitude...

I knew that I was not helping him at all, the way things were going... I told him to become serious, grow up or...

Or what?

After all my counseling, care, concern and efforts were not working on him, I, finally, folded his books, tucked in his bag, gave it in his hand and yelled:

“Get out!”

Yes, I feel, some help to others, best done that way!

After all, my well-being is my responsibility... Isn't it?

There is peace in my heart, now!

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...