IT TAKES TWENTY YEARS TO BECOME AN OVERNIGHT SUCCESS






Pic.: Malabika Ganguly
Some days ago, Ajay*, a friend of mine, called up to seek some help from me. His nephew, who was studying in a convent school, had to seek admission in a new school as boys could study in the particular school only till fourth standard. As the boy’s elder brother studied in another reputed school around, the parents had approached the head of this school for the younger-one’s admission, and, they were promised. But, in the last minute, the school expressed its inability to accommodate the younger sibling. The reason given seemed quite genuine, though shattering. The parents kept visiting the school and began to plead for the admission, but all in vain. Finally, they were sternly told not to ‘disturb’ anymore... It seemed to be the end of the pursuit, as far as that school was concerned...

Time had run out; all schools had, already, started. Relying totally on the verbal promise and not keeping any back-up option, now, seemed a terrible mistake. So, in desperation, the parents of the little-one and my friend began to knock on other schools. The help my friend was seeking from me was in this regard...

Frankly, I find myself clueless when someone comes with such a request. I may be a teacher and I might have taught for many, many years. Still, I have consciously restrained myself from giving anyone any false hopes... The fact is that, I don’t know anyone and, I do gracefully convey this fact to anyone who approaches me for help in this regard.

With this friend of mine, too, I did the same thing: I let him know my inability in the matter; still, I remained very empathetic to him... I kept encouraging him to keep up the effort and not to lose hope.

This morning, there was a message on my phone:

“Finally, the little-fellow got admission in............. school. Relief!”

I was so glad, that I didn't wait to send this reply:

“Ajay, the l’le one deserves!
In life, we learn the value of waiting, anxiety, hope, humility, prayer...
 in times like this. Blessings to l’le one. Tcre.”

I received the reply from my friend with equal speed:

“Thanks so much Gerry for such a nice message!
Great way to start the day!”

I mention this commonplace episode in this Post to highlight a point: React less; blame less... Keep up your faith, your hope and keep trying... Explore all avenues.

Though I knew my limitations, I did ask another teacher-friend of mine if anything could be done. This friend, too, did not give me any false hopes... Things did not happen from this end, eventually...

Just as I did not want my friend to feel bad about my inability to help him, my teacher-friend did not want me to feel bad about her inability to help me either... And, above all, the l’le one’s parents and uncle (my friend), too, had to do the same: they couldn't afford to feel bad about the initial reaction from the school authorities.

So, finally, what won?

Patience, waiting with anxiety and hope... the prayer and humility... yes, all these won.

Last Saturday, during the Workshop on ‘Assertiveness’, Dr. Deepak had drilled into the heads of all our young-ones:

“It takes twenty years to become an overnight success!”

“How many years?”

“TWENTY, sir!”

As the l’le one walks into the new school – the school his parents and uncle desired for him - may he learn, early in life, the value of waiting with patience, anxiety, faith, prayer and hope...

I have, already, blessed him!

* Name is changed

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...