IGNITE THAT FIRE AND HUNGER IN YOUR BELLY











Pic.: Nishtha Narryani

“A man needs to look, not down, but up to standards set so much above his ordinary self as to make him feel that he is himself spiritually the underdog.”

It is just the start of the academic year. Though I don’t believe in holding series of tests and judging my students by the marks they have scored, I relentlessly instill in them the value of being focused, determined and self-disciplined in life. “It starts from being clear about your goal... Fix it high, and fix it now,” I drill into their heads, “Once you have done it, and decided to have it badly, no one needs to remind you, coax you, least of all, force you to do your work.”

The message sinks in most of the time, and in most of the hearts. In some hears, it takes more time... but, it does sink in, for sure.

Why am I so confident that all my students take home my message?

Because, all of them want to succeed in life!

I had announced the first test – in just one chapter – for my twelfth-standard students about a week ago. Some of them came from very privileged families, could afford to pay much higher fees and learn from me in a ‘small and special’ batch. They did not want to be in a ‘big’ batch... and, yes, they couldn’t adjust to my evening general-batch timings. Well, so be it. Though I do not believe in offering any ‘special teaching’ to my high-paying students, I do accept a few students like these. “You are the privileged lot, my dear-ones,” I keep reminding them, “Be worthy of it.”

Like always, this time, too, I had a rude shock in store for me: the so-called privileged ones – many of them I had taught in eleventh-standard as well, yes, the so-called ‘special batch’ – had done far below what they ought to. On the other hand, many young-ones from the so-called ‘general batch, who had not been to any classes in the eleventh-standard, and who came from very deprived families – yes, I was so pleased to see their performance. What pleased me the most was that these kids were thinking and learning... they were doing things more on their own... they were creative, they took risk, they trusted their opinion... and, above all, their motivation did stem from their clearly defined goals...

There are those two popular stories, which I tell my so-called ‘privileged’ young-kids to explain to them as to why, in life, it is so important to possess the fire in their belly – that killer instinct... that never-say-die winning-spirit...

Arjuna was a privileged young-student of his great guru, Dhronacharya. Ekalavya, on the other hand, was not. He was born in a low-caste, tribal family... He was burning with the desire to learn the art of archery from the great guru. But, then, the great teacher refused to take him as his student... Hurt by this, the young kid, Ekalavya, went back to the jungle... made a statue of the great Dhronacharaya and got down to practice.... Yes, imagining his master, with all his determination, focus, commitment, and passion...

And, one day, while the teacher and his ‘privileged students’ were passing by the jungle, they heard a dog barking hysterically. Then, all of a sudden, it stopped. Perplexed, the guru and his students began to move towards the direction from where the cry of the dog had come. What they saw, on reaching there, stopped their hearts: the dog’s mouth was left wide open... and a dozen arrows had kept it so!

“Who could be such a fine archer?” When the guru met, finally, the young-kid from the jungle, the first question he asked was: “Who taught you this?”

“You, my guru,” the under-privileged boy answered pointing to the statue of great teacher, “I learnt it by worshipping you!”

The rest of the story is very disturbing. However, it needs to be recounted.

“If so, my dear young-student, you need to give a gurudaksina to your teacher,” the great teacher said to the wonder-kid.

“Whatever you ask, my master, I shall gladly and willingly offer to you.”

“Then, offer your thumb!”

“Here it is, my master,” Ekalavya chopped off his thumb for his revered master!

Was it right or wrong, that is not the point here. The point is: Arjuna, who was a privileged student of great guru Dhronacharya, could never reach the level of this underdog - this underprivileged tribal-kid - Ekalavya!

And, yes, there is that other popular story... and, strangely, it, too, hails from the folklore of jungle... And, I don’t fail to narrate it to my ‘privileged’ students... yes, ignite that fire and hunger in their belly...

What is this story?

Wait till tomorrow...

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...