GO-GIVER... GO, GET IT









Pic.: Bhushan Thakkar

I had taught Bhushan some twenty-three years ago when he was in T.Y.B’Com. We lost touch for a couple of years. Then, one afternoon, he appeared while I was busy teaching. He had come, specially, to gift me a copy of the book, which he had just read and loved immensely. So immensely that he had painted all over his office-walls the simple yet profound principles highlighted in the book. It was the little cult-classic – ‘Who Moved My Cheese?’. Ever since then, we have been in touch as good friends... and, more than anything else, as each others’ well-wishers.

Two days ago, while I was busy conducting our PD session, he dropped in. This time, the mission was to hand me the copy of a small book, which I had not heard of – ‘The Go-Giver’.

Bang on, the title of the book caught my imagination! ‘The go-getter’ had been a favorite term in my vocabulary. I had been using it, like everyone else did, to connote that someone was ambitious, determined, hell-bent, a never-quit-come-what-may guy and so on... But, ‘The Go-Giver’? I had never heard it. Yet, without even opening the book, I could guess what the book would be all about...

You might finish reading ‘The Go-Giver’ in an hour-and-a-half, flat. Its authors, Bob Burg and John D. Mann, tell the story of Joe, a young, ambitious professional... Yes, the quintessential ‘go-getter’. But, he has, presently, come to a point in his life that his ambition and determination don’t seem to take him anywhere. With a burdened heart, he, inadvertently, seeks the mentorship of The Chairman. The rest is what Joe learns from the friends of The Chairman – all of them the Go-Givers in life. There are only five simple lessons of success... Just see for yourself how simple they are:

1. The Law of Value: Your true worth is determined by how much more you give in value than you take in payment.

2. The Law of Compensation: Your income is determined by how many people you serve and how well you serve them.

3. The Law of Influence: Your influence is determined by how abundantly you place other people's interests first.

4.The Law of Authenticity: The most valuable gift you have to offer is yourself.

4.The Law of Receptivity: The key to effective giving is to stay open to receiving.

Over three decades ago, through Napoleon Hill’s books, I was first introduced to the Emerson’s ageless Law of Compensation. It was here, that I had first learnt as to why we had to work more than what we were paid for... Why we had to go beyond the call of our duty... Why going the extra-mile would bring us the ‘extra’ in life... yes, slowly, steadily and surely.

For all these years, I have been vehemently imparting this simple lesson to whoever I come in contact with... “In giving, we receive.”... “What you sow, you reap.”... “What goes around, comes around.” But, despite the Holy Books and Emerson, people don’t easily believe in going the extra-mile... in working more than what they are paid for...

So, when Bhushan came to hand over the book, he reminded me, “Sir, please pass on the book once you finish reading it.”

I am passing it on to you, in a way God has blessed me to do – by writing about it... Please read the book and spread the message:

“Your true worth is determined by
how much more you give in value
than you take in payment.”

My son has just finished his studies in Animation and is all set to start his working career... I shall be handing him a copy of ‘The Go-Giver’, for sure...

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Usha Menon said…
Too good, dear Gerry.
- Usha Menon

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...