MY DAD BELIEVED IN ME






Pic.: Nishtha Narryani
My son, who has just finished his studies in Pune, returned home late last night. He will be here with us for a month or so before he starts working with his first company in Bangaluru. Last night, we spontaneously sat back to talk. At five in the morning, I realized that I had an early morning batch to teach... But, I wasn’t feeling sleepy at all. I wanted to be there, talking with my son, more!

I still remember that day when I left home (Mangalore) to find my place here in Mumbai. I was of my son’s age – just over 21 – then. My dad wasn't a qualified man, nor did he have decent means to provide us the kind of comforts which I, as a father, have been able to provide to my own son. But, then, that was the best my dad could do... and, yes, he was the best dad I could ever have in my life!

Best dad?

All dads become ‘the best’ and ‘the greatest’ only with passage of time.  When my dad was around, I did not realize how good or how great he was... It was only when I had to leave home – and particularly when he was no more – that I began to feel strongly for whatever he gave to me as a father...

I am sure, this is how most of us see our dads... This is how we learn to appreciate and value their contribution to us... Honestly, I do not remember saying ‘Dad, I love you’... or ‘Dad, thank you’ as much as I do that now when my dad is no more around! And, yes, I am sure, I am not alone in this...

“My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person,” Jim Valvano had said, “He believed in me.”

And, my dad?

Yes, he, did, too...

And, what about me?

Last Sunday was the certification day of our 2014 PD course. The students wanted to thank all their teachers with a simple, yet meaningful, gift. They did it through an amazing book – ‘Go Kiss the World’.

The author, Subroto Bagchi (Co-founder of MindTree), tells us, in the Prologue itself, how the title of the book was born. His ailing, blind mother was battling for life in the hospital... and he had come from the US to see her. But, she was not showing any improvement. As Mr. Bagchi, couldn't stay back any longer, he decided to go back to the US. On the way to the airport, he went to see his mother, one last time. There, in the hospital, he bent down to kiss her forehead.

“Why are you kissing me?” the mother asked the son.

“Why not?” the son asked, puzzled.

“Go kiss the world,” the mother sent her son with her last words!

The book, which was written many years after this incident, deals with the simple life-lessons the son was to learn as he went about, yes, ‘kissing the world’!

Whether it is a mother or a father, and whether it is a teacher, a mentor, a boss or a friend... whoever loves us deeply and means well for us, would, invariably, wish us with the same words as Mr. Bagchi’s mother did: “Go kiss the world”...

“Yashashvi bava”... “Keertimaan bava” and, yes, “Ayushmaan bava”...

I am my son’s greatest well-wisher... I want him to remember, too, that the greatest gift I have ever given him, and ever will be able to give is:  I believe in him!

Shakespeare tells it, beautifully:
“When a father gives to his son, both laugh;
when a son gives to his father, both cry.”
“Go, kiss the world, my son.” That’s the best gift I can think of giving you, today, on this ‘Father’s Day’...
Yes son, I believe in you!
GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Monish Navani said…
Very touching post and very inspiring. Monish Navani
Anonymous said…
Great post sir, keep inspiring!
-- Lavina Sharma

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...