IN THE FERTILE SOIL OF APPRECIATION...















Pic.: Ruma Chatterjee





“The roots of all goodness lie in the soil of appreciation for goodness.”


For Sana, my eleventh-standard (CBSE) student, today was the first session in my class. When her mother came to pick her up after the class, I spontaneously said:

“Ma’am, Sana is really good... Very attentive, very enthusiastic and responsive... It was a real pleasure teaching her.”

The mother blushed... Without her saying much, I could hear what she was telling me:

“Thank you sir... You made my day!”

Last night, Arnab, a friend of mine, had invited me to his place for dinner. He and his wife, Reena, had really poured their hearts into everything that was there as part of last evening... music, food, drinks, snacks, desert, discussion and, above all, the warmth... Giving was full. It was visible, palpable... inviting. I felt so relaxed and re-charged that I did not realize the time I was leaving their place: 1.30!

Normally, I send a thank-you message from my cell-phone on my way home. But, last night, my phone battery let me down. So, the first thing I did, as I woke up today, was a warm thank-you to my friend and his wife:

“Gd mng Aranab and Reena. Sorry I couldn’t convey my happiness and gratitude last nt as my cell-phone fully went out on battery. It was a spl evng, very refreshing and inspiring... U both had put ur hearts into it. May it continue this way; may God bless u. Hv a great day.”

My friend was quick in responding:

“Gerry, thank you so much for lovely words! You know it is ALWAYS a pleasure to have you... Thanks for making the evng so lively and beautiful!!!


And, as I was still soaking in the warmth of  those words, I saw what one of my FB friends from America had just posted. She wrote:

“This letter made my day....it's from my friend’s son who took care of Bruno ( their dog) for ten days when we were on vacation. So sweet and thoughtful, isn't it!!”
Dear Mis. Anu,
 Thank you for letting me take
care of Bruno while you were on your trip to Alaska.. I really enjoyed
having him in our home. He was very energetic and fun to play with...
Thank you for paying me so generously. You really didn't
need to give me so much. I hope, you enjoyed your trip.
Thanks

Yes, I know that kids in America do take care of pets – and do such errands for others - and get paid for it. So, I was not touched by this little American boy’s pet-care act. What touched me was his letter to my FB friend. I sent my quick comment:


“It made my day, too, dear Anu. Bruno and this little-boy teach us: Love is innocence!”


I wonder, sometimes: Why are we so stingy in our appreciation of others? Why don’t we let others know how good they are... and their work, gesture and children are!

Really, expressing our sincere appreciation doesn't cost us anything... Probably, the more innocent we are, easier it is to open our hearts... and pour our feelings out!

Love, in deed, is innocence!

 * All names have been changed

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Anonymous said…
Simple yet profound!! Nilesh Ranade

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...