TO GROW-UP OR TO GIVE-UP




Pic.: Chetna Shetty

The ore doesn’t become gold unless it is sent through fire. Likewise, the coal doesn’t become diamond unless it is rigorously polished…

And, what about my character?

I have been thinking hard on this issue: How do we become fine human beings? How do we build up our character-strength? How do we become compassionate and giving in life?

The only answer I keep getting is: Through the way we respond to difficult times in our lives… As the Wise say, “It is not what happens ‘to’ you that shapes your character, it is what happens ‘in’ you.”

I have seen, time and time again, that the challenges in my life can bring the best or the worst in me… They can make be better or bitter… grow up or give up. Challenges have, always, made me trust more and more in the goodness of people and life… Even in the thickest of my hard-times, I have refused to believe, that people or situations in life do not change… that, there is no hope. On the contrary, in my most difficult times, I have trusted more in my inner and outer resources… I have trusted more in the mercy of God…

Yes, in my difficult times, I have gone on my keens and prayed more… I have become vulnerable and sought help from others more… And this: I have reached out to others more in my worst times!

So, today, when some of my challenges seem hell-bent to stay with me and scare the wits out of me, I have these options before me:

To stay with the ship or abandon it…

To become better or bitter in life…

To grow-up or give-up.


True. Whether we like it or not, the only way to find the shining gold is by sending the ore through the burning fire… and the only way to find the precious diamond is by rigorously polishing the coal…yes, whether we like it or not.

If so, why should I be spared from my own test of fire and rigorous polishing?


GERLALD D’CUNHA



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...