IS OUR HOME, ALSO, INVADED?





On my way to my work, this morning, I met my friend, Gaurav, who teaches in an Engineering college. He was carrying with him a big bag. So, I asked him as to why he was carrying such a big bag while going to work. “It contains a set of some traditional outfit,” Gaurav said, “We have traditional day celebration in the college, today.”

“Why didn’t you wear it while going to college?” I asked.

Gaurav simply blushed!

Gaurav reminded me of my own self. We both are so shy… that we would not wear our ‘traditional clothes’ while going to our work… We will go 'there'… and change!

Shy people remain shy always…

But, so what?

Gaurav and I are fine individuals… Aren’t we, Gaurav?

Gaurav will not say ‘Yes’, I know… He will only blush!

Well, this post is not about my shyness or my friend Gaurav’s. “Students look up to us, Gaurav,” I had said to him during our brief interaction, this morning, “They want Heroes… the Role Models.”

Despite my shyness and half-a-dozen other ‘handicaps’, my own students – thousands of them – over all these years, have looked up to me for their inspiration. In fact, people like me and Gaurav have played dual role in this matter. One: We have been influencing them as ‘Teachers’… Two: we have been influencing them as “Role Models’, too. “The very thought is so reassuring, Gaurav,” I had commented in the morning, “It builds our own self-confidence.” Little did I not know, that I would get to read an amazing post shared by my another friend, Ashish, barely an hour later. Read the post…

When the ancient Chinese decided to live in peace, they made the great wall of China. They thought no one could climb it due to its height. During the first 100 years of its existence, the Chinese were invaded thrice. And every time, the hordes of enemy infantry had no need of penetrating or climbing over the wall... because, each time, they bribed the guards and came through the doors!

The Chinese built the wall but forgot the character-building of the wall-guards. Thus, the building of human character comes BEFORE building of anything else… That’s what our students need today.

Like one Orientalist said: “If you want to destroy the civilization of a nation, there are 3 ways:
1. Destroy family structure.
2. Destroy education.
3. Lower their role models and references.

 1. In order to destroy the family: undermine the role of Mother, so that she feels ashamed of being a housewife.

2. To destroy education: you should give no importance to Teacher, and lower his place in society, so that the students despise him.

3. To lower the role models: you should undermine the Scholars, doubt them until no one listens to them or follows them.

For, when a conscious mother disappears, a dedicated teacher disappears and there's a downfall of role models, WHO will teach the youngsters VALUES?

Have a thought!
Is our home, also, invaded?

[Author unknown]          

Am I shy? Yes, I am.
But, as I said, so what?

GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.:    Internet

Comments

Unknown said…
Gerry, Thanks for sharing my routine post in your invaluable blog...the post itself got such a beautiful meaning and importance! you are not only inspiration for your thousands of students, but for the peers like us too...(though little junior i suppose :) ..
So wonderfully and simplistically explained!! My humble regards!
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanx Ashish for ur kind words. Love

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...