FEELING FOR VANDE MATARAM








By the time I publish this Post on my blog, the national flag across our country – in every nook and corner that is – would have been already hoisted. The National Anthem and some patriotic songs, some snacks or sweets to children… maybe some games… with that would conclude our 71st Independence Day celebration. We will not be able to change our ‘old ways’ of living even till the flag is descended before sunset…

Our ways haven’t changed… “I am an Indian… and all Indians are my brothers and sisters,” this pledge is only confined to the tricolor pole or our children’s’ textbooks.

Am I proud to be an Indian?

Yes, I am.

With all the good, the bad and ugly that my country offers me, am I still proud to be an Indian?

Yes, I am.

I do not like chest-thumping at all. The patriotic feeling, just like the feeling towards my parents and spouse, should be left to my bosoms. I know, it is ordinary citizens like you and me make this nation… I know, we had the fortune of being born on this soil… I know thousands of selfless souls have sacrificed their lives for us to be able to enjoy the fruits of freedom today… I know I am blessed to co-exist with my country men who belong to so many different faiths, who speak so many different languages, who follow so many different t customs … eat so differently… dress so differently… and, even pray so differently. That is the fortune and pride, I truly feel, that make me a fine Indian.

Need I stand on the hill-top and thump my chest: “Hark, hark, I am a proud Indian?”


The other day, I watched the young anchor of one of the national televisions cornering a hardcore nationalist. The debate was on making singing of ‘Vande Mataram’ compulsory. “Sir, can you sing two or three lines?” The anchor kept pushing. And, obviously, the hypocrisy was exposed on national television!

I can sing my National Anthem and Vande Mataram in one of the finest voices and flawlessly. The fellow next to me may not know the words or the tune. Will that make me a better Indian than my fellowman?

Why this arrogance? Why this intolerance? What is being ‘proud’ about such patriotism? In what way will that attitude of mine contribute to my nation’s well-being?

When I was a small boy, I heard this Jesus’ parable which has always guided me about my reverence to God and my Nation…

Two men go to the Temple to pray.  The first, a Pharisee, thumps his chest out of pride and power. (The Pharisees considered themselves as pure and pious… Followed the Old Testament   and God’s Commandments by the book.). Standing by himself, so as not to be contaminated by the sinners around him, he prays: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income’ (Luke 18: 11 & 12).  His prayer extols his own virtues.  He addresses God but boasts of his own righteousness.  Four times he uses the word “I” making himself the subject of his own prayer seeing himself as superior to all. 

In another corner of the Temple, tucked away at the back was a tax collector... (In those days, Roman rulers hired some local Jews to collect the taxes. The Tax collectors used all kinds of means to collect taxes, indulging in cheating and arm-twisting, in the process earning a bad reputation for themselves). He too is standing far off because he sees himself as unworthy of coming into the presence of God.  He too beats his chest but for him it’s an act of contrition and repentance.  Looking at the ground he prayed a simple prayer of only 7 words, “God, be merciful to me, a sinner!”  (vs. 13) God is the subject of his sentence while he is the object.  He knows his need for God’s forgiveness.  Jesus ended the parable saying, “I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other…”   (vs. 14)

(Ref.: Rev. Sabrina Ingram… ‘Chest Thumping’)

I have forgotten to say many of my basic prayers of Catholic faith. When everyone around me – in a church or a prayer gathering - says those prayers, I stand there with my head bowed down absorbing in the meaning of those words… But, the fact is I have forgotten those words and I do not intend to make any attempt to learn them ‘by-heart’ all over again…

Does it make me a less Christian? I get comfort in the parable of Jesus. Only that is enough to make me feel how ‘Christian’ I am.

Ditto for my love and reverence towards  my county – India.

My hair stands straight when I hear Vande Mataram. But, the other day, when I heard that TV anchor challenging the ‘Pharisee’ – ‘Sir, can you sing two or three lines of it” – yes, I knew that the anchor was asking to expose the hypocrisy…

I know, the anchor would have never asked the same question to you and me, who get goose bumps all over our bodies when we hear Vande Mataram… without being able to sing a line or two from it. Leave alone the meaning of it!



A happy Independence Day to all …

GERALD D’CUNHA


Pic.: Internet
Video: YouTube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...