JUST WALK BESIDE ME AND BE MY FRIEND








Elbert Hubbard (who wrote the inspiring essay, ‘A Message to Garcia’) once said:

“Never explain - your friends do not need it
and your enemies will not believe you anyway.”

As the world celebrates Friendship Day, today, I have received ‘Happy Friendship Day’ wishes from all kinds of people, men and women, young, old and little ones, total strangers and even a few ‘rascals’…(Let’s call them my enemies)… Yes, I have received wishes from all but some of my best friends. Ditto, the other way round, too: I have sent messages to many except my long-standing besties…

My best friends do not need to be reminded about our friendship… We simply are!

As Elbert Hubbard said, one of the surest indicators of fine friendship is when there is no need for explanation in our friendship – when our friends simply do not need it. The moment we have to explain endlessly, everything every time, it is the clear sign of distrust… If we are friends caught up with such a need, it is bad friendship.

When the need to seek explanation from each other in friendship increases, we pave way for enmity… And, as Elbert Hubbard concludes in his statement, our enemies don’t believe us anyway. So, it is futile to explain to our enemies. Trust is lost!

Besides trust, another amazing thing about fine friendship is the treatment of equality. True friends are always equals… As French philosopher, Albert Camus, described with poetic beauty:

“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.”

It is almost midnight. Still, wish you a Happy Friendship Day.


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Aparna Deshmukh


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...