YOU MAKE YOURSELF DESERVING









Every year, many people approach me regarding admission in a school or a college. Because I have been in teaching profession for over thirty-five years, here in Mumbai, they assume that I must be able to influence some Trustee or Principal – whoever it is – to help them get admission for their kin or kith.

But, I am very bad in this job!

Yes, I have taught thousands of students over these years, and, in the process, I might have come across many school Trustees, Principals and teachers. But, I haven’t sought any favours from them. Very, very rarely, when I have sought a favour on someone’s behalf, it has not worked out. So, I have learnt to sincerely communicate about my drawback in this respect and, rather, encourage them to try on merit, wait with patience  - even to remind them saying that they should not mind sending their children to whichever school or college available to them. “Boards, schools and colleges make no big difference.” I keep drilling into their heads, “Your child does.”

Am I trying to escape or am I trying to be too philosophical?

None of the two. I am trying to be ‘practical’… sensible.

The only time I had sought favour for myself was when I was a new-comer and struggler in Mumbai. I lived in my uncle’s house and I had no job. In desperation, and with a fearful state of mind, I remember visiting a well-connected gentleman (who happened to be relative of one of my friends). Now, this gentleman was truly ‘gentle’ and he truly wanted to help me. So, he kept sending me, with his reference, to some employers… But, thanks to my low self-confidence and fearful state of mind, I got rejected everywhere!

Which meant: I was not destined to work in that fashion… with low self-confidence and fearful, state of mind. I was destined to ‘find myself’ and live an authentic life!

Since then, I have been very, very discreet about seeking or entertaining favours. If we really deserve the seat, we will get it. That’s my firm belief. If we do not get it in the particular school or college, we will get it where we are destined to get… and, all that we are supposed to do is: make the most of it!

This year, too, two dear ones approached me for seats. “Can you talk to so and so for FY BMM seat in so and so college?” The first one said. “Do you know anyone in so and so college for FYJC admission for my grand daughter? She hasn’t got online admission in any of the colleges she wanted to join.”

I confessed to both of them about my drawback in this matter and I gently advised them on the same lines as I always did… “Do not panic… all will turn out to be good… Good Karma pays…  Keep patience… Keep trying… Keep hope.”

Two weeks ago, the BMM boy called up to tell me that he got admission in his desired college. And, last night, the grandfather of the FYJC girl called up to tell that she got admission in her desired college, too!

Now, how would you explain this phenomenon?

Perhaps, years later, when this BMM boy and FYJC girl will look back, I hope, they will surely smile with confidence and happiness.


GERALD D’CUNHA
Pic.: Niyothi Lobo



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...