OUR JOY COMES FROM THE SAME SOURCE



Why do I wear a smile on my face? Why do I wear ‘special’ clothes on some days? Why do I don’t like to leave home unshaven?

When our door bell rang at 7 this morning, I thought it was doodhwala who had arrived at his usual time. But, when I opened the door, a brightly dressed woman was standing outside. “Namaste saab,” she beamed. I took a while to recognize this woman. As a house-keeping staff, she would normally ring our doorbell between 7.40 and 8.00 every morning. And, she would appear in her uniform, a light-blue saree . But, today she had arrived almost an hour before and in her bright, shining clothes!

“Namaste mausi (That is how I call all of them – young or old!). Aaj kuch special?”

Her infectious smile only made mausi shine even brighter!

I closed the door, without knowing what made our house-keeping lady arrive so early and in her special clothes… Any festival? Not that I know of… Her birthday or anniversary? She did not tell me about them… But, surely, there must have been a reason behind that early arrival, bright saree and broad smile… Don’t you think so?

It’s mid-noon, now… I am still thinking about it and smiling!

How alike are the human needs and aspirations! People like you and me are better placed in life… Our day doesn’t start with the kind of work mausi is expected to do – picking the garbage from every door. But, just as you and I aspire to show up in our best attire on our special days… just as a festival, birthday and anniversary are so special for each one of us, it is so for everyone out there – no matter who the person is… how well-placed or how lowly-placed in life!

Our joy comes from the same source… Our prayers go to the same God… Then, how can my joy be any different from mausi’s?

GERALD D’CUNHA


Pic.: Niyothi Lobo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...