AN INCOMPLETE EMAIL









A friend of mine, who is a consultant in one of the organizations in Mumbai, narrated to me this interesting episode…

Some days ago, we got the notification in our office complex (A twenty-one storey office complex), that the server would be down for an hour. The employees, so dependent on their computers, suddenly felt clueless as to what was to be done when they could not use their computers for an hour! They were waiting for instructions from me. Meanwhile, a young employee came over to me and said, ‘Sir, we would like to listen to some motivational things from you.’ A couple of her associates seconded their friend’s proposal.

I spontaneously proposed to them something different… ‘We are on the eleventh floor here,’ I said, ‘Any of you has come up here or go down from here using the staircase?’

There was none. So, I suggested, that we walked down the stairs and discover what was there on each floor… They loved the idea. By the time we all landed on the ground floor lobby, a lot of discovery had been already done. Now was the time to climb up… That was tough. They were expecting it (an ‘order’) from me. So, they were pleasantly surprised when I asked them, ‘Has any of you gone on the terrace above the 21st floor?’

No one had. So, we all took the lift and landed on the terrace. Once, we landed there, I sensed a sudden burst of new energy… It was like discovering a new continent… Or, like landing on the peak of Mount Everest! They did not know, for almost two years, that they could behold such a breath-taking view from the building they had been working, every day, for over two years… That, they could see the magnificent sea, scores of ships, the glory of the rising and setting Sun, tens and thousands of small and tall buildings… Above all, they had no idea how breeze felt while it played over their shoulders… They were happy and playful - a moment their selfies beautifully captured!

A couple of them came out with this suggestion, ‘Sir, we should come here regularly… It’s an amazing experience!’

I smiled. ‘Let’s walk down the staircase to 11th floor,” I said, “We will discuss about it once we are in our office.’

Once we were inside our office, I said, ‘What happened, today, was all spontaneous… not planned. The experience that you all relished was fresh, first-hand… Now, the moment you try to recreate this event and relive this experience, you are going to spoil the experience. Someone had said, ‘I may be going nowhere, but what a ride!’ 

By now, the server had started functioning… and, my boys and girls were back to the grind!

Spontaneity is like our tears… As Marty Rubin said, tears are easier to shed, than explain! Spontaneity, too, is easier to experience than explain… Our desire to recreate the events that give us great joy and relive those experiences, are, definite sources of our disappointments and unhappiness.

Many of us have experienced it in the context of ‘Reunions’. The thought of getting reunited with our schoolmates after a span of twenty/thirty/forty years can be really exhilarating. So, the very first reunion brings in us that ‘all-time high! Then comes that desire in us to recreate similar events at regular intervals – say every month,  three months, six months or year and so on – and relive the experience  - the ‘High’!

What comes out from this, usually, is a big disappointment… It’s human disaster!

My consultant-friend had two more episodes to share. One involved the wedding of one of his associates, who was a H.R. executive. She had sent a wedding invite through WhatsApp to my friend a day before her wedding with the words, ‘Please come’.

‘Thanks,” was my friends reply.

“You did not come,” was the newly-married woman’s complaint.

“Sorry. It was a ‘remote presence’… Maybe, you did not realize… Busy, no?” was my friend’s response.

“Wanted your ‘physical presence’ as well,” was her contention.

“Not getting ‘what you want’ inevitably brings you ‘what you need’… Universe takes care,” was my friend’s piece of advice.

“What about relationship, then?” was the young bride’s question.

“It ends in conditions and selfishness… No?”

The conversations, too, had ended with it…

But, incomplete?

The other episode involved the birthday of one of his very close relatives, who looked up to my friend for advice and inspiration. A week ago, was the birthday of this young man, and my friend, while wishing him said, over the phone, “You have been in my mind for many days… Today, I am just wishing you. In fact, I had written a mail to you, but I couldn’t complete it… Hence, it got left, unsent.”

“Why didn’t you send me the incomplete mail?” was the sincere response from the young man to my friend, “I would have loved it, anyway!”

In Life, everything need not be ‘perfect’ or ‘complete’. Everything need not be as per our plan and preparation. Yes, Life is always what happens to us while we are busy making our ‘other’ plans…

Joy doesn’t, always, come from the main door, you see… Very often, it comes from the back door and the windows!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Sandeep Malhotra

Comments

Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thank u Manjeet sir... You know how the post was born!!! Love

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...