THE RAM LEELA MAIDAN





















“The fire that warms us can also consume us;
it is not the fault of the fire.”

-  Swami Vivekananda


I admire the steely faith that drives Anna Hazare’s life. He was, is and will be a simple village soul… Not afraid of any kind of brute force around him. His ideals are lofty and he believes in them like an innocent child does. The politicians, businessmen, religious hardcores and even masses find his ideals not practical…

So, every time Anna Hazare fasts unto death, I feel bad and sad for him. He is such an honest man… such a courageous and steadfast man! But, deep in my soul, I know, his fast will only go in vain.

Look, what’s happening, right now, on the Ram Leela maidan, where his fast has entered the 6th day! Where are those so-called conscious-keeping activists of 2011 – a Kejriwal, a Kiran Bedi, a retired Army Chief and the like? Where are the Super Stars who hogged the limelight sitting with Anna? Where are our political parties and their leaders?







I am an incorrigible optimist… But, at the same time, I am a lot more realistic. Corruption can’t be wiped out through legislations and Lokpals alone. While they do play a significant role, I believe, the seeds of corruption lay deep and wide in our bosoms… We all – including me – are corrupt. Only the scale of our corruption varies. Look at the way we all go about paying our taxes!

Only two days are left to file our Income-tax returns! So much for our honesty and crusade against corruption!

How old is this world? And, how old is corruption?


I believe, if the seeds of corruption are within each one of us, then we all should look within us to eradicate it. The interesting part of this process is this: even if we succeed in cleansing our own souls, we will have to live surrounded by ‘impure and corrupt’ souls!

So, what’s the way out? Look to the other side? Be pessimistic and cynical?

Not at all. We need the spirit of Anna Hazare, however innocent and impractical it seems to be. What you and I cannot do, Anna does. He has the grit and the gumption to take on the establishment…

Where I differ from Anna is: First, I need to take on myself… Challenge myself… Fast until my soul becomes free from the ills of corruption. Anna has done that long ago. He is an honest man… incorruptible. But, you and I, who ‘use’ his goodness, are not only corrupt, but also sly. Dishonest!

Yes, I am an incorrigible optimist when it comes to the impurity within!






GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Internet/sify.com

Video: YouTube/Times Now


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...