REJOICE BECAUSE THORN BUSHES HAVE ROSES


















“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
― Abraham Lincoln

I have stopped using the phrases such as ‘a stress-free life’ or a ‘problems-free life’. Such life simply doesn’t exist. And, if any one promises me such a life, I simply say, ‘No… Thank you.”

When people ask me why I write, I say, “Because, I feel confused, anxious, worried, joyful, sad, mad, angry, irritated, loved, betrayed, strong, weak, secure, insecure, jubilant, defeated… every feeling a human being goes through – and should go through – when he lives on the face of this planet… I tell them, that I write not because I am positive and happy always.

But, let me confess: When I was younger, I used to, often, use the expressions a ‘stress-free life’ and a ‘problems-free life’. And, I did try to chase that life… only to be eluded like a mirage!

Now, as the years roll by, I, more often, find myself using the expressions such as ‘living gracefully’ and ‘living with dignity’…

What are these two expressions – ‘living gracefully’ and ‘living with dignity?

I think, when we learn to live accepting our limitations, our human flaws, with acceptance and gratitude, with poise, by being less reactive, judgmental and caustic… when we learn to live with less number of complaints, by appreciating what is ‘still there’ on our tables… with hope, cheer, tolerance, reconciliation, love and peace – yes, I think, when such an attitude comes into our day-to-day life, it is ‘living gracefully’…

Living gracefully, because Life is good, great… despite the problems we have to face every day… Yes, there is still goodness around, still good people around, there are still good reasons why we need to look up to the sky, every day, and say, “Thank you Lord”…

And, what about ‘living with dignity’?

I think, it is when we learn to find strength in our vulnerability and wealth in our simplicity, it is ‘living with dignity’.

Again, when I was younger, I would think, that our vulnerability was a sign of our weakness. I would not easily display my tears, fears, self-doubts and needs before others… I would either hide them or camouflage them… pretend as though I was brave, strong…

But, not any more…

Similarly, when I was younger, it was always, ‘More’ means ‘Wealthier’… The quest was to earn more and hold more… I thought, you are never wealthier unless you possess more…

But, not any  more…

When we embrace simplicity consciously… learn to distinguish between our 'needs' and 'wants'… when we find wealth in surrounding ourselves with people who are ‘rich’ in their culture, character and outlook towards life… When we learn to depend on our own abilities and skills and not on our inheritances… when we do not succumb to the social status symbols, benchmarks and opinions… yes, when we are firmly rooted to our values and wisdom, I think, it is ‘living with dignity’…

So, I pray to God to help me live gracefully and live with dignity… Yes, on this planet full of problems…

And, yes, as Abe Lincoln said, let us rejoice, because thorn bushes have roses… and not complain because rose bushes have thorns!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Niyothi Lobo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...