LEARNING TO DO THOSE 'MINDLESS THINGS', MINDFULLY















“As you grow older, you will discover
that you have two hands, one for helping yourself,
the other for helping others.” — 

I was talking to a friend of mine, last morning. She is very qualified and articulate. Before she got married, she had worked for many years in a reputed company. But, once her two sons were born, she chose to quit her well-paying job and focus fully on her family. Her husband holds a top  position in one of the blue chip companies in India, while her two sons have finished their studies… One is well-placed in a company and other is about to join.

A significant part of my friend’s life, in the last three decades or so, has been devoted towards her parents’ care. The aged and ailing parents live on their own in the same city as my friend lives. So, like the lives of several others from the  so-called ‘Sandwiched generation’, my friend’s life, too, is stuffed between the families of  parents and  her own…

“I am in my mid fifties now, and I have missed on many ‘small things’ in life,” said my friend, yesterday, “Of late, I have taken some conscious decisions… that is, to pursue some of those small things I always wanted to… Not the ‘big things’ like world tours and exotic cruise rides, which I have done enough… I have missed on ‘small things’ like learning to swim, play a piano or some ‘mindless things’ such as hanging out with my dear friends at kitty parties and so on.”

‘Mindless things! I loved that expression.

I, too, have missed on pursuing so many of those seemingly ‘mindless things’. Yes, amidst the frantic seriousness of family life, like my friend and many others around me, I, too, have not done some of those ‘mindless things’…

“There is a new-found joy and excitement when you learn to swim, dance or play a piano at this age. You become a child, all over again… It nourishes your heart,” my friend told me, yesterday, “If our own hearts are not nourished well, we will not do a great job in nourishing the hearts of our parents, spouses and children. So, I have learnt to let go, to a large extend, my anxiety about my parents, spouse and children… I think, I owe it to myself.”

Do we owe it to ourselves? Is it being ‘selfish’ or ‘harsh’?

Yes, I think, we all owe it to ourselves… It’s not being ‘selfish’ or ‘harsh’… Not at all!

Life of our parents, spouses and children are, undoubtedly, very valuable to us. But, what about our own? What about those little pleasures of learning to swim, dance or play cards with friends, a bit of gossip at the kitties… or, just hanging out with them? Yes, what about doing ‘mindfully’ some’ mindless things’ when our lives seem sandwiched between those of our parents from one side  and spouses and children from the other?

How about making a decision to nourish our hearts a little more, from today?


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Kamal Kishore Rikhari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...