THE WOLF AND THE CRANE



















Once, a Wolf was in terrible pain... A bone was stuck in his throat. When he saw a Crane around, he pleaded before her to send her long bill down his throat and pull out the bone. The Wolf made a promise, “Trust me, my friend, I will reward you handsomely for your help.”

Convinced, the Crane quickly got into action. She placed her long bill in the mouth of the Wolf and took out the bone, quite effortlessly.

The Wolf was relieved. “Thanks for your prompt help,” he said to the Crane and began to dash off his way.

“Wait a minute, my friend,” cried out the Crane, “What about my reward?”

“Ah… What about your reward!” the Wolf turned back to answer, grinding his deadly teeth, “Well, my friend, you have won a good fortune, already. You can, now, go around boasting before the whole jungle, that you had the grit and the gumption to put your head in a Wolf’s mouth and yet could walk away scot-free!”


I love this story.

Though I don’t like to admit it, many a time, I do behave the way this Wolf behaved… I show my thanklessness and, often, I break my promises.

What comes obviously to me, as it comes to most around me, is to see myself as a Crane in this story: That, I, often, go out of my way to help some people… and, only to come out hurt and deceived like this.

So, who I am I actually – the Wolf or the Crane?

Thankfulness should come to us naturally, without being reminded to be thankful. Similarly, keeping our word should, also, be something natural with us.

But, then, when we are Wolves and Foxes, perhaps, it takes some unusual grace for us to behave with gratitude and trustworthiness. If we are Wolves and Foxes, it’s highly probable, that we betray the trust placed upon us.

That’s what being a ‘Fox’ means!

And, if we are Cranes? Well, in such case, it’s in our nature to be mild and soft-hearted. When people ask for help, we go out of the way to oblige… Many times, knowing well the untrustworthy nature of those who we are helping…

And, then, we come out hurt and betrayed!

Now, look at this Crane… Did she help the Wolf out of compassion or out of the lure for reward?  If reward was what had prompted her to help the Wolf, then, it is better for her to realize, that keeping expectations from the Wolves and the Foxes in life, only brings misery in life…

So, Neki kar  dariya me daal!

Amen.


GERALD D'CUNHA

Pic.: Chetna Shetty

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...