DISCRIMINATION IS A DISEASE OF OUR SOUL














At the end of the game, the king and the pawn
go back in the same box.”
-       Italian Proverb


How do the thoughts of discrimination creep into our hearts? I mean – all sorts of discrimination… be it based on our religions, castes, class, colour, language, customs, eating and dressing habits, country, gender, abilities, localities we live in and so on…


Funny and stupid it looks to me!


I am a Christian. A Catholic. A ‘Roman Catholic’ to be precise! I, sometimes, wonder: What difference does it make to me as a human being? Roman or Syrian… Catholic or Protestant… Christian or a non-Christian… Yes, which one of these makes me a finer human being?


Funny and stupid, indeed!


Whatever religion I have embraced, I have embraced it from my birth. In fact, I did not become a Christian with my eyes open… My parents baptized me as one when my eyes were closed. So, it is my religion that has embraced me and not the other way around… Just the way I was born and raised in India and, thereby, an Indian, I was born and raised as a Christian – a ‘Roman Catholic’ – and, thereby, one.


Now, that my eyes are open. How do I feel now about being ‘categorized’ as a Roman Catholic, an Indian, a South Indian, a Mangalorean, a Mumbaikar, a Chemburkar and so on?


Funny and stupid it looks to me, honestly!


If the thought of belonging to a particular religion, place etc. makes me feel superior to others, that feeling is very, very dangerous, divisive and destructive. That feeling makes me a lesser human being… In fact, in my view, that’s exactly the opposite of the essence of religion.


As long as I have the traces of discrimination in my soul – and I do have many of them… of one kind or the other – my soul needs to be refined!


I honestly feel, that the only purpose of our religion is to help us recognize the seeds of discrimination in our hearts and free ourselves from them…


The rest, that we do in the name of our religion, country, caste, class, colour, language, abilities etc.… yes, it’s sheer stupidity. Madness!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Rekha Shrikar Shenoy



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...