A QUIET MIND AND AN EMPTY MIND

















“There is a hell lot of a difference
between a quiet mind and an empty mind.” 

― Soshail Akash


Just as there are many ways in which we can build our self-confidence, there are, also, many ways in which we can lose it. One of the surest ways in which we all can build our self-confidence is by focusing on ‘what we can do or change’… rather, what is within our control. Late, Stephen Covey, called it ‘our area of influence’ or ‘our area of power’. That’s what you and I can do; and, the more we focus on these areas, the more we become proactive, and. thereby, become more self-confident.


On the other hand, one of the surest ways in which we can lose our self-confidence is by focusing on ‘what we cannot do or change’… rather, what is outside our control. Covey calls them our area of concern. That’s what we may be concerned about; but, practically, you and I are unable to do anything about them… The more we focus on these areas, the more we become reactive, and, thereby, lose our self-confidence.


I remembered Stephen Covey’s ‘practical theory’, today, as I was uncluttering myself on social media… I blocked dozens of ads and posts… The Posts of several ‘so-called friends’ on FB, I permanently blocked… some of these friends I chose to unfollow. Repeated bombardment about things which are not of my interest – rather, about which I cannot not do anything even if I smashed my head on a hard stone – yes, why am I even looking at them, leave alone ruin my sleep on?


If I keep sharing and forwarding ‘others’ posts – left, right and centre and 24/7 – what does it tell about me?


A jobless character! A loser!


I just cannot do much about so many things around me, and, in the heart of my hearts, I know it. Then, why can’t I be simply honest… and, leave those things alone. And, if I still continue to create noise about them, try to influence other people about them, I, think, it is the surest way of losing my own self-confidence.


Period!


People behave the way like and the way they choose to… just as how I do. If my own self-confidence and mental well-being is dear to me, I need to know what to embrace and what to stay away from. My self-confidence is the outcome of my own choices. I have enough job in hand to let my time wasted on useless things…


‘Khali dhimag shaitan ka ghar’… ‘Empty mind is devil’s workshop’. Our forefathers never said this for nothing… They were not jobless, you see!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Anil Bedi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...