THE ALOYSIAN TOWER



















“There is one spectacle grander than the sea,
that is the sky;
there is one spectacle grander than the sky,
that is the interior of the soul.” 

― Victor Hugo



I joined the famed St. Aloysius School, in my hometown Mangalore, when I was in sixth standard. I did the rest of my studies – higher primary, high school and college – in this great institution. My self-confidence level, throughout my school and junior college days, was very, very low. I suffered from a killing inferiority-complex, which, they call ‘social anxiety’ these days. My changes had begun to take place only from my F.Y. B.Com days, when I sat in our class and admired my teacher, Prof. B.S. Raman. Even though I did not speak to my teacher, one-on-one, I learnt to teach and write like him, just by ‘admiring’ him. Ironically, in those days, I had never heard of ‘The Law of Attraction’ or ‘the spirit of Ekalavya'.


But, yes, my self-confidence level was going up steadily… Thanks to the ‘vision’ I was able to hold!


Though St. Aloysius campus is spread over vast acres, the main school, college and the stunningly beautiful chapel stand on the peak of the Light House Hill. Atop the school building, there stands the viewing tower. The school allowed us to go up there and view the majestic Arabian Sea only once a year… The day used to be 31st July – Ignatius Loyola Day. As little kids, we were so excited and looked forward to this special spectacle. But, least did we realize, at that age, that they sent us up there to ‘look far’… behold the glorious sea… the limitless sky. Yes, it took many sunsets to comprehend the significance of climbing our school tower on Loyola Day…


I remembered our school tower yesterday – 31st July - with mixed feelings. V.G. Siddhartha, the founder of iconic Café Coffee Day chain, who was just one year junior to me, too, was the proud product of St Aloysius. But, I have no idea if he, too, had climbed our school tower on the 31st July – the Loyola Day. But, whether he had or not, this soft-spoken gentleman had been a true visionary. He had, definitely, ‘seen’ the empire he was to build years later!


The Aloysian Tower is very symbolic… The Light House Hill, on which it stands tall, too, is very symbolic… The Netravati River, which joins the Arabian Sea, too, is very symbolic!


Yesterday was the Loyola Day… The day we school kids climbed the Aloysian Tower… to behold the Arabian Sea!


V.G. Siddhartha was laid to rest yesterday… To me, that, too, is very, very symbolic!






GERALD D’CUNHA

Pics.: 1. TripAdvisor 2. PTI

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...