FEELING FOR DAD... FEELING FOR MOTHERLAND









Some two months ago, a young man called me and said, “Sir, my 11-year-old cousin will be coming down from Dubai on a two-month vacation. His parents are keen that he should utilize this time in India on learning some new skills… Is there something that you can offer?”


I had nothing to offer for a 11-year-old except something that I have been, always, passionate about and, yes, good at. So, I said to the young man, “I can help him open up and express himself from his heart.”


A month later, the young man called me up, again, and said, “Sir, my cousin has come… Can we start?”


I took off with the 11-year-old Yash. Let me tell you this: Yash is one of the most affectionate, confident, articulate and well-loved-and-raised kids I have come across. It’s clear from the start, that both his parents had poured on this little kid loads of love and care… with great schooling and great thoughts. He had come down to India with his mother, while father had stayed back in Dubai handling their small family business. Mother would sit through the sessions and keenly observe and learn, too. Yash was full of enthusiasm… On stage, he would unfold himself naturally with mature gestures, eye-contact and extempore… He had no stage fear at all and was never rattled by the presence of older kids in the room.


So, it was a sheer delight to be around Yash in this brief journey. Frankly, I did not have to do much with this kid… Maybe, I was able to trigger off something in his bosoms… Maybe, I said.


One afternoon, some days ago, Yash’ mother said to me (in Hindi) … “Sir, Yash’ dad’s birthday will be on 15th August. I want Yash to write something nice for his dad. Can you help him?”


“Yash, do you want to write something to dad on his birthday?” I asked.


“Yes Sir… I want to,” replied Yash enthusiastically.


So, I made him sit in one corner and pour his heart out… Here is what he wrote…


Dad, your birth date is on 15th August, when our home country had got independence. From the start of my life, you were the first person who I saw. From that moment, I have, always, seen you as my saviour in everything…. I have, always, been comfortable in your lap. Whenever you are not there at home, I feel that I am in an abandoned home… But, when you come, your hugs and kisses are so special, that I feel like I am in a beautiful home filled with happiness!


Mom tells me, that I had a rare fever when I was a small baby, in which,  you were a saviour for me. You had done so much for me, that I had been cured so fast. You had done/struggled so much for me. Every time, whenever I am scared, you are the one who removes my fear… You have, always, been calm and composed like my favourite M.S. Dhoni. You have, always, been struggling a lot to put me in a good school and give me a good life. Whenever I was in a problem, you were the one who helped me and removed me through the darkness.


Dad, if you were not there, I would be blind and I would never see all the wonderful things in my life. I would’ve never seen the beautiful sunshine in my life. Dad, I love you from the bottom of my heart… and, every time I thank you for this wonderful life, it will be less.


So, dad, here I am wishing you a very, very warm and happy birthday. XXXXXX and infinite more kisses…


Your loving son,

YASH





(Yash with his parents)



Yash hardly took some fifteen to twenty minutes to write this note to his dad. When he had completed, I asked him to present it from the podium. There were many college kids in the room besides Yash’ mom and me. Yash spoke, as usual, with great poise and confidence… and made us all rise up on our feet to accord him a standing ovation!


As Yash was pouring his heart out on his dad, I suddenly realized, that in the room was present a young college girl, who had lost her dad recently after a long battle with cancer… I had no heart to even look at this girl’s face! All that I could do was… feel for her and Yash… feel for all the young boys and girls out there… and, above all, feel for their mothers, who wanted their kids to say something to their dads, straight from their hearts, as Yash did.


A Happy birthday to Yash’ dad... A happy birthday to our Mother land!



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: 1. PNGKey  2. Lalit Tikyani


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...