GRACE IS FREE... THANK YOU

 



“Grace is free, undeserved goodness and favour

of God to mankind.”

Mathew Henry

 

Tragedies have a strange tendency of uniting us. When they strike, we see in us a mysterious surge of brotherhood… All of a sudden, extending a little helping-hand seems natural to us…

Well, I agree if you think, that I am generalizing this phenomenon… Forgive me for that, Sir.

Exactly a year ago, when Corona Virus exploded into a Pandemic across the globe, almost all of us were gripped by fear and uncertainty. Some of us, including myself, didn’t step out of our doors for months. But, I remember during those initial total- lockdown days, hundreds of young men and women going out of their way to reach out to those who were panic-stricken… Some with supply of groceries, some with medicines, some with a helping hand by coordinating things with hospitals or graveyards. Here, I am talking about lay people like you and I… Doctors, Nurses, Police and those on essential services… yes, they remain the true frontline-warriors of Covid Pandemic…

Now, after a year, when the much-awaited vaccine has come, it has, also, brought along the same surge of brotherhood. Many doctors are going out of their way by issuing the mandatory Morbidity certificates for the suggested age-group… Many young men and women are seen helping the elderly by registering their names online, taking them to vaccination centres and bringing them back… At the vaccination centres, the experience is extremely cordial. My wife and I had chosen RCF Hospital in Chembur (Right behind our residence) for our vaccination… Everything – entry to exit – was very smooth and, as I said,  extremely cordial. What was endearing is this: We saw several retired RCF employees doing some volunteering work. It started from greeting us to sending us off… I am miserably shy of camera. But, my wife loves it. “Stand here,” she commanded as soon as we got ourselves poked. In the backdrop, there was this banner which read, “I am Vaccinated at RCF Hospital”. The moment she commanded, an elderly gentleman sprang up on the scene, “May I click the picture?”

“How sweet!” I exclaimed, “Thank you Sir.”




I saw the gentleman tirelessly and gleefully encouraging shy-ducks like me to get clicked.

The vaccine was free. During the 30-minutes post-vaccine waiting-period, some other retired RCF employees were seen encouraging us to have a cup of hot tea and a small packet of biscuits…

“How sweet!” I kept telling in my mind…

India has the second-largest population in the world… And, here we were, so fortunate to be vaccinated – and treated with such pleasant hospitality – all for free!

Just before we left, the security guard, who, too, wore an exceptional courtesy-kit, came to us with a book and a pen… “Sir, aap ka comment ke liye.”

“Amazing experience… Extremely courteous and caring. Thank you!”

“Thank You” feels too familiar an expression for grace and mercy of a monumental proportion…




Maybe, we should say it going down on our knees!

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic.’s: 1. Unknown Source 2. Unknown Angel (A retired RCF employee)

 

Video: Carleen Sabin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...