THE WAITING ROOM

 



“If you wouldn’t follow yourself,

why should anyone else?”

John C. Maxwell

 

A week ago, a young girl, who was scheduled to face interviews for MBA programmes from some premier institutes, contacted me. She wanted to refer my name to these institutes as her ‘Teacher’.

I was more than delighted.

This girl, who I had taught for three years during her degree college, had many strengths. One of them was, that she was very ‘dependable’. She was committed, punctual and communicative. I was just a teacher for her. In this respect, her commitment referred to each of her session with me. She rarely missed any. And, very rarely, when she had to, she would communicate with me beforehand, negotiate; sometimes, try to reschedule with mutual consent. She always showed up before time. Again, very rarely, if, for some reason, she found it difficult to be before time, she would call me up and let me know about it… She did her assignments within the scheduled time period… I never had to coax her or force her to do them.

A rare species?

Well, I just want to tell you this: This girl was conscious of her personality traits – which we call ‘Strengths’. So, I wasn’t surprised when I was told by her, following her interviews, that every interviewer had asked her to talk about her major strengths…

And, this girl did speak about her strengths which I have highlighted above…

The take away from these strengths boils down to this: The young girl is dependable!

And, what a fine personal quality that is! And, how grossly most of us underestimate its importance!




Today, I had to drill this hard truth into another young man, Rohit*. This young man, who has just begun his twelfth-standard classes under me, is a wonderful kid. He is passionate about cricket; for which, he has been undergoing coaching. He is, also, blessed with an analytical mind, because of which, he is excellent in mathematical calculations. His mother had already briefed me about his strengths and weaknesses during his enrolment. His main weakness, according to his mother, was ‘Procrastination’… “Sir, he keeps things for the last minute and ends up doing a shoddy work… He needs to be constantly coaxed and nudged.”

Ture to his mom’s assessment, I could easily, and quickly, make out Rohit’s classic strengths and weaknesses. Being aware of his analytical mind, coupled with a passion for cricket, he seems more inclined to follow the path of a Harsha Bhogle than a Virat Kohli. I have no reason to doubt his ‘aptitude’ for it…

But, I do have a reason to doubt his ‘attitude’ for it…

It may sound bitter when I say this. But, all pills for cure are bitter, you see!

Yes, Rohit is the last one to join our sessions . Often, when I don’t see him connected, I get a doubt – “Will he?” or “Will he not?”.

The same happens regarding his assignments… When I don’t see them till the stipulated time, I doubt – “Will he?” or “Will he not?”

Today, when the same thing repeated, I asked him if he had watched the film ‘Chak De’…

“Yes Sir,” Rohit responded excitedly, “Very inspiring film.”

“Do you remember the scene in which the new Coach of Indian Women’s-Hockey team, Kabir Khan, deals with Preeti Sabharwal, the Captain of Chadhigarh team?”

“Yes Sir, I remember it very well,” said Rohit.

“Was this coach too harsh on her?”

“No Sir, he wasn’t.”

“Does it apply in cricket, too?”

“Yes Sir.”

“What about our classes – Does it apply here, too”

“It does, Sir”

“So, the take away, my friend, is this: From now on, you join the sessions five minutes before time… and be there in the ‘Waiting Room’. You don’t make your coaches wait for you. Else, you may get the harsh verdict from Life Coaches  - “Sorry, young man. Try your luck, next time.”.


 


The ‘Waiting Room’ is an amazing place to be in. It’s a lovely metaphor… Be there on your own, without being pushed. And be there, by choice… Gladly. Because, it builds your character – your ‘attitude’. And you know what: It makes you dependable!

‘Chak De’… Go for it!

 

*Name changed

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: pixabay

 

Video: YRF


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...