MATURITY COMES NOT WITH AGE


 

“Maturity comes not with age, but with acceptance 

of responsibility. You are only young once; 

but immaturity can last a life time.”

Edwin Louis Cole

 

Nirav* is a bright kid. Why did I call this 17-year-old, who has joined one of the ‘best’ Commerce colleges in South Mumbai, a ‘kid’?

Well, the ‘kidhood’ – I mean the ‘childhood’ – as Edwin Louis Cole says has nothing to do with our age… Some of us stay ‘kids’ for our entire lifetime, you see!

Poets and spiritual teachers sing praises about ‘being childlike’. Hope, we never hear it - ‘Being childish’!

So, our smart kid from one of the ‘best colleges’ in South Mumbai, is not the one the poets and spiritual teachers sing praises about… He is ‘Childish’, plain lazy. Laidback!

Am I making a big deal about it? Weren’t we all been there, done that?

We are lying, if we say ‘No’!

We all loved to sleep like logs when Sun was almost halfway to mid-noon. I am talking about the days when there weren’t any gadgets and PlayStation to fiddle with, no 24 x 7 TV channels… not even electricity, leave alone a landline… Life was too simple; but, it did not spare us from our laziness. Yes, we all have been there, done that – I mean, what a Nirav or a Nisha of today’s time do. Our parents, too, had screamed and splashed water to wake us up at 12 noon... Our parents, too, had branded us as ‘Laidback’ and ‘Useless’…

And yes, some of us stayed so; while some of us became parents and teachers to scream at our ‘kids’ and brand them as ‘Laidback’ and ‘Useless’!


On a serious note, let me reassert, that, in life, maturity comes with accepting responsibility and not necessarily with age…

Some get it early, some late… and, some don’t get at all…

Hope, Nirav gets it soon. For, in every respect, he is smart. But, he likes to sleep a lot longer. That’s his Achilles’ Heel, you see!

I have been moving mountains to make Nirav understand, that he is smart enough to join our online session at 9 a.m. And, he has been moving mountains to make me understand, that it’s too early. His parents have been on my side and have kept insisting on inculcating fine discipline in him. “Sir, he is capable. He used to get up very early for his school. Now he has become lazy… He wastes his time on watching movies, videos and playing games at night… Be strict with him.”

So, the invite for every online session is sent to Nirav and his parents, both. To parents, as a back-up plan. Today, at 9, others had joined, but not our Nirav. I started calling and texting… No response. Finally, message arrived from his mother, “Sir, I just woke him up.” When he connected after 10 minutes, the girls in the group started laughing… So sleepy and lifeless he sounded!

Nirav was angry… “Why are they laughing?    ”

Well, after the session, I replied to Nirav’s mother: “Yes ma’am, he joined. I had to keep him awake all through the session. As soon as the session was over, he sent me this message. I am sharing with you, just for a laugh and not for complaining…”

Nirav’s message to me: “Sir you ruined my entire sleep!” 



I used to wonder – and smile in my heart –  why was Nirav’s WhatsApp status read perpetually - ‘SLEEPING’!

I hope, it changes, soon… I hope, this kid grows, soon!



*Name changed

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: pixabay

 

Video: Dare to do Motivation

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...