CHOTI SI BHOLI SI AASHA

 



“And we will lie down on the ground

and have conversations with the  grasses and the flowers.”

Avijeet Das

 

I had taught Pooja, now a dear friend, right through her junior and degree college days. It was more than twenty-five years ago. She was extremely committed, focused, and, yes, ambitious. These attributes rewarded her with success she deserved… She became a CA at a very young age, added many more specialized degrees… authored a couple of books on Financial subjects, lectured extensively at many premier institutes… and, for reasons best left tucked in her heart, she chose to remain single…

Is she happy in life?

I haven’t asked Pooja… Nor has she asked me the same question after thirty years of my own marriage… “Sir, are you happy in life?”

Some months before the Covid situation broke out, Pooja had moved to Chennai on a lucrative assignment. She is still there. Presently, she has been sharing with us the pictures and videoes of her latest ‘achievements’. Have a glimpse…








I had commented: “The lockdown effect, Pooja? It will keep you forever young.”

Pooja’s response was this: “Gerry Sir, very much the lockdown effect. Can’t  say if it will keep me young; but, sure, crocheting is keeping me curious and creative… I actually feel the Eureka moments and I am so relaxed of the Covid fatigue.”



Here in Mumbai, my cousin sister, Jennifer, shared with me, yesterday, the ‘Choti si Aasha… Bholi si Aasha’ of her and her school friends. She shared this video with me:




Jennifer wrote: “One of the first things I am going to do, when we are allowed to move freely again, is to go and eat this Ashok Vada Pav near Kirti College, Dadar. We school friends are planning to have a reunion there!”

Co-incidentally, Jennifer, who is in in her fifties, has been one of the brightest and intelligent members in our family (Dad’s side). She, too, grew up the hard way… Pursued her dreams with focus, dedication and passion. She has been very pious and blessed with good-old family values. Deservingly, she went about achieving her career goals. And, like Pooja, for reasons best tucked in her heart, Jennifer, too, chose to remain single…

I dare not ask her that stupid question: “Are you happy in life?”

Happiness is no one’s private property. Marriage and singlehood have nothing to do with it… Success, positions, power and fame may provide some illusionary sense of happiness…

But, can anyone or anything else provide that divine sense of happiness Pooja’s and Jennifer’s ‘choti si bholi si aasha’ can provide?




“I’d rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck” – Why did Emma Goldman say this?

 

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic's.: 1 & 5 pixabay

          2, 3 & 4  Pooja Gupta 

 

Videos: 1. Ashok Vada Pav 2. Film 'Roja'/Rahul D.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...